starting strength gym
Page 222 of 301 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Went to see Richard Jewell today. Go early and go often! Clint Eastwood nails it here and to tell this story at this time in American History is priceless. There is a reason this movie is being ignored by the main stream media and most of the ads are Clint in street clothes explaining just a small part of what went down back in 1996. Go see it!

Watched The Godfather trilogy over the past few days. What a helluva thing it is. If you haven't watched in in a while, the holidays is a good time to do so. What do you think makes them so good?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Watched The Godfather trilogy over the past few days. What a helluva thing it is. If you haven't watched in in a while, the holidays is a good time to do so. What do you think makes them so good?
    Beyond the compelling story, I think Part 1 may be one of the most beautifully shot films around. Every damn scene is just gorgeous.

My wife took one of the older kids to the new Star Wars movie yesterday. I made the youngest watch Convoy with me. She was less entertained than I was. (she's not quite 3).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think Al Pacino, as the hero who becomes an anti-hero, makes them so good. Say what you will about Brando and DeNiro, and their portrayals of Don Vito Corleone, but I think Pacino did it more skillfully.

I really appreciate the character development they put into Michael Corleone, but mostly in parts I and II. Part III is not as memorable to me. The range of his descent into evil is so wide, from wartime hero to someone who would have his own brother killed.

In a practical sense, Fredo had it coming.

I liked II the best. The flashback and backstory to Vito Andolini and the forces that shaped him were very well done. Especially that Irish civil servant who renamed him at Ellis Island. Wonderfully filmed with a slight sepia tone to Vito's return to Sicily to exact revenge for his own father's murder.

III really sucked, although Andy Garcia was not too bad. But Sofia Coppola was by far the worst feature of that film. Even worse than Pacino's carpet chewing scenes. Sadly, it seems Pacino got stuck in that mode the rest of his acting career.

Yes, all the critics universally panned Sofia, so that's just what we do. She was a beautiful girl and was fine in the role.

For Christmas I got The Wind and the Lion, which I have never seen and Bad Lieutenant with Keitel, he's pretty jacked in that movie for his age.

The holidays cause me to revisit the good ones. So:

The Wind and the Lion
    Victor/Victoria
    The Sound of Music

I've watched each of these bunches of times. They make me proud to be a Human Being.

starting strength coach development program
    I just bought and watched The Man Who Never Was; a complete WWII-set sleeper of a film from 1956. I'd seen it years ago and it was just as exciting as the first time. This spy/thriller movie with no serious action is still incredibly compelling. It's based on a true story about a brilliant ploy the British Intelligence Service concocted. They sought to misdirect the Nazi's into thinking the Allied Forces were invading Europe via Sardinia (rather than Sicily). According to Wikipedia, the plan was so successful that the Germans thought the actual attack on Sicily was a diversion.

I won't say anything more about it other than 1) there's a scene where British officers have to speak with a father whose son had just died that is a gut-wrenching piece of writing, acting, and cinema and 2) the ending is amazing. It's a great film that more people need to discover. No one I know has ever heard of this film. Go find it (available in Blu-Ray on Amazon) and thank me later!