starting strength gym
Page 224 of 301 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Watched Jumanji (the first one with The Rock from 2017) couple of days ago and was pleasantly surprised. Am going to see the new one in a few days. Heard it´s also good.

Also watched Captain Marvel last night and it was okay...ish. Not really bad but also not very good. Brie Larson for the most part acted like a plank of wood. I heard that the film tries to shove the feminist agenda down the viewers throat, but that was actually not as bad or obtrusive as I anticipated.

1917 was the best movie I've seen in awhile. There are parts of it that are almost like a found footage horror movie. You're following these guys through hell, always right behind or right in front of them. What it lacks in story, it makes up for in detail. It's more like a poem than a novel. I watched They Shall Not Grow Old and have read a few books on WWI. They did a good job of capturing the filth and wretchedness of trench warfare.

I do wonder if the movie will have even remotely the same effect when watching at home. I wish the new shitty Star Wars would get out of the iMax theaters so I could see 1917 again in iMax.

Anybody wants a good bloody one that doesn't make you think too much Ready or Not was pretty damn good. I imagine a lot of true horror fans won't like it. But if you like a good "fight your way out" movie, this one will scratch the itch.

Quote Originally Posted by hill.1338@osu.edu View Post
    What it lacks in story, it makes up for in detail.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by hill.1338@osu.edu View Post
    I watched They Shall Not Grow Old and have read a few books on WWI. They did a good job of capturing the filth and wretchedness of trench warfare.
    I had higher hopes for this. I wish there had been more narration about what we were watching, where it was shot, what had taken place, etc. Maybe I missed it, but it seemed to be WW1 footage simply cobbled together. Which was cool to see and you got the sense of how nasty it could be. But I think I was spoiled by Hardcore History and 18 hours on WW1.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    I had higher hopes for this. I wish there had been more narration about what we were watching, where it was shot, what had taken place, etc. Maybe I missed it, but it seemed to be WW1 footage simply cobbled together. Which was cool to see and you got the sense of how nasty it could be. But I think I was spoiled by Hardcore History and 18 hours on WW1.
    I did not know what to expect going in and was a little disappointed there was not more context. However, I love the stories from soldiers. It almost warrants watching again because it was such a spectacle, I don't know if I was able to process all of it the first time and I'm wondering if 1917 was the same way. Now that I've ridden the ride once I'd like to watch it with a different part of my brain.

I am sure it has been posted, but if you're interested in WW1, Dan Carlins's Hardcore History Blueprint for Armeggedon is an absolute must listen.

I cannot wait to watch 1917

The story is basic compared to most blockbusters, but still manages to have you on the edge of your seat.
    What it lacks in story, it makes up for in detail.
    Cinema being a relatively short form of storytelling, leanness is usually a quality. The epidemic of bloated plots in recent high-budget movies has certainly not been a good thing. 1917's straightforward and powerful narrative is, in my opinion, one of its great strength and I would certainly not consider it lacking in story.
    Many great films would make a poor novel, and many great novels are turned into poor movies.

Great point. The LOTR trilogy dealt with this well, as did Lonesome Dove by moving to the mini-series approach. Although not really a movie, and thus off topic for the thread, Lonesome Dove is at least one of the top 3 westerns ever filmed, maybe the best, and they did a masterful job of turning that great novel into a very tight and extremely faithful version of the source material, very hard to do in shorter format. Short stories make better movies than novels for this obvious reason.

3:10 to Yuma (both of them) supports that argument as well. Great short story, great movies. You can develop characters better because you’re don’t have to change the plot.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    and many great novels are turned into poor movies.
    Cold Mountain by Frazier comes to mind.