starting strength gym
Page 227 of 301 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Exodus was a fine movie, as was The Duellists. Ordered The Counselor.

Watched 4 films lately:

1. Nocturnal Animals
    Horribly boring and pointless. Starts out really really well and then absolutely nothing happens. As a book it might be better though.

2. Jumanji - The Next Level
    Fun movie but the first one was better.

3. L.A. Confidential
    What an awesome and clever movie! Absolutely loved it.

4. American Psycho
    Already watched it several times but will always watch it again. One of the best.

The Instapundit linked an interesting article on The Hunt for Red October. One of the points the author made that resonated with me was that ALL submarine movies are great. On reflection, I've loved literally every such movie I've ever seen from Fantastic Voyage to K-19: The Widowmaker. I saw the former (which my father did the publicity for) when I think I was 9. I looked at girls differently after that movie because it featured Rachel Welch in a wet suit. Watching a group of men peel antibodies off her body made me feel funny. I met all the stars of the film EXCEPT her.

I also loved Das Boot (the original one from 1981). There were a lot of older German-speaking people in the audience. They sobbed when the sub went down. As a Jew, I was considerably less sad.

But I digress. The article was timely because I'd just bought a copy of Hunt on DVD a few weeks ago for a buck. My VCR copy had long given up the ghost. I loved this movie when it came out and have watched it about nine or ten times over the years. I watched it again a few days ago and it still wears well.

It doesn't have Rachel Welch in it though.

I just ordered it yesterday after seeing the Instapundit post. Time to watch it again.

Watched Parasite yesterday and it is awesome.

Someting missing in the movie Hunt for Red Oct., was the Skipper's motivation in the book which was that his wife died
    in a Soviet hospital due to lack of medicine, care, etc.

It was very powerful in the book and if I remember correctly after so many years, completely lacking in the film. They wrote a different motivation or orders that weren't nearly as angry, driven and hateful as the book's character had and I always felt the film would've been better if they'd followed through on that.

"On the Beach" with Gregory Peck was a good end of the world/largely submarine movie. It's a little dated but still effective.
    When the crew finally discovers where the "S.O.S." seeming morse code came from was heartbreaking when I lst watched it as a kid in the '60s.

Das Boot will always be the submarine pinnacle for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I just ordered it yesterday after seeing the Instapundit post. Time to watch it again.
    The only negative thing I had to say about the film was that they didn't write a bigger role for Fred Thompson as the aircraft carrier commander. His was a small role but he was amazingly believable. He made me feel that if I were part of his crew, everything would be all right; even if it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott B. View Post
    There are no bad Ridley Scott movies...
    I was going to say Top Gun but I just looked it up and it was directed by his younger brother Tony Scott. It would have been awesome if it didn't have any dialogue or a pretentious plot. I burned a DVD of that film that contained only the flying scenes (and dialogue during those scenes). THIS was amazing (and still 45 minutes long). It's very popular when I have friends over.

Some of the flying scene lines WERE iconic though: "C'mon Mav. Do some of that pilot shit." and of course "Talk to me Goose."

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    The only negative thing I had to say about the film was that they didn't write a bigger role for Fred Thompson as the aircraft carrier commander. His was a small role but he was amazingly believable. He made me feel that if I were part of his crew, everything would be all right; even if it wasn't.
    Altogether a much better movie than the ridiculous see saw plot of Crimson Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Some of the flying scene lines WERE iconic though: "C'mon Mav. Do some of that pilot shit." and of course "Talk to me Goose."
    My two favorites were:

The CAG's extended rant after Maverick and Goose returned to the carrier deck. It went something like this: "Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash!" Along with "I'll have you flying rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!"

Then the ever popular "I feel the need for speed!"

Watched Ronnie Coleman the King on Netflix. 8 surgeries on his spine and hips. It’s a cautionary tale, but he continues to enjoy life, has a great relationship with his kids, is still capable of taking care of himself, and, most importantly, he continues to lift.

starting strength coach development program
    The Hunt for Red October needs a rewatch. Excellent film, as has been observed. The special effects are a bit dated, but I am forgiving when the cast and story are this good.

The Counselor is a depressing mess. It's a good film, because Ridley Scott doesn't do bad films, but it's not enjoyable at all. Not at all. Everybody dies except the people who need to die.