starting strength gym
Page 238 of 301 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238239240248288 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,380 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hulk Hogan lied about both his height and weight.
    But not his 24” pythons, brother. Andre the Giant was dubbed the “Eighth Wonder of the World” and billed as 7-foot-4 and 500 pounds. I saw the guy wrestle in Upstate NY in the late 1970’s. I’d say he was closer to 6’10” but the 500 pounds was pretty darn accurate.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

And starred in Suburban Commando.

This is not true. Hulk Hogan's height was 6'7" and his his weight in his prime was around 303lbs. In his book there are many photos of young Hulkster with his classmates and friends, and it's clear he was a waaay larger specimen than his peers. Furthermore, candid photos of him with adult fans show just how big he was.

These days, due to innumerable surgeries on his spine, and deteriorating posture, his height is closer to 6'4".

Okay, Ayrsson.

Finally watched A Shot At Glory, a football - well, 'soccer', to you yanks - film made in Scotland starring Robert Duvall.

Duvall's accent was horrific, definitely the worst 'Scottish' accent committed to film. And yes, even worse than Christopher Lambert's in Highlander, though i thought it was hilarious that Duvall's character in the movie was also called McCloud. The worst part though is that Duvall's character was supposed to be from "a miner's village South-west of Glasgow". Well, that's Ayrshire, and if anyone came to Ayrshire with an accent like that they'd be almost unintelligible to the natives. I suppose the natives working around Duvall just thought, "i'm so lucky to be working with this Hollywood A-lister. His accent's shite, but i'll keep my mouth shut in case he takes it bad and tells me to get to f*ck".

But apparently this was Duvall's project and he very much loved the subject matter and took the whole thing very seriously indeed.

I was a firm Rangers FC supporter in my youth and would regularly go to Ibrox to see Rangers and McCoist, so it was funny to see this American attempt at dramatising the Scottish game that i know so well, particularly with regard to the 'Old Firm'. Shame the film wasn't very successful. I expect it was just too 'provincial' and not glamorous or seedy enough for the 'big league'.

For 'soccer' fans (all 126 of them in the US), it's a must-see. 100 times more entertaining than the currently-fashionable-but-utterly-mediocre women's football matches going on in the States.

A Shot at Glory trailer - YouTube

Took Rip's advice and watched Solomon Kane. What a film. James Purefoy was fantastic. I've seen him in two other productions - HBO's Rome and as Edward Teach in Blackbeard - and every time he was brilliant. Though he was a little on the skinny side, aesthetics aside, he was the star player in Rome as Marc Antony i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    Took Rip's advice and watched Solomon Kane. What a film. James Purefoy was fantastic. I've seen him in two other productions - HBO's Rome and as Edward Teach in Blackbeard - and every time he was brilliant. Though he was a little on the skinny side, aesthetics aside, he was the star player in Rome as Marc Antony i think.
    Seconded. Definitely a good movie.

The Vast of Night (2019)

1950's New Mexico ET sci-fi. I love this genre and everything about this was great, especially considering its tiny budget, and its a very human story too.

It's on Amazon Prime right now.

Watched The Godfather trilogy over the past few days. What a helluva thing it is. If you haven't watched in in a while, the holidays is a good time to do so. What do you think makes them so good?
    IFC had 1 & 2 on and I just watched them both this weekend. I like 1 more than 2,but 2 has a much more complicated story.

Why so good?

1) good casting
    2) patience telling a story
    3) characters that are easy to understand their motivations
    4) A good story to tell
    5) it looks like what I envision 1940-50 was

The movie pros are so in a rush to get under the 2h time slot. What they don't understand is that folks will sit through a long movie, if there's a good story to be told.

starting strength coach development program
    Blade Runner 2049 is one that I can watch repeatedly, along with The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot. I thought Ad Astra was really good too. I recently watched The Lighthouse and loved it. I can’t really say why though. I also watched Robert Eggers’ other movie The VVitch, but didn’t really care for it. As far as older movies go, I watched the original Predator with my son the other day, and I have to say that I think that’s one of the best pure action movies out there. No love story, no drama, just some dudes with guns trying to kill an alien in the jungle. I also think it captures what made Arnold so great as an action hero. The role was perfect for him. The last one I’ll throw in there is The Fountain. That’s probably my favorite movie. Worth repeated watching.