Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    A quick review after watching The Outlaw Josey Wales for the first time:

Damn.
    Seriously? You'd never seen The goddamn Outlaw Josey Wales before? Not a hard man to find -- leaves dead men everywhere he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Seriously? You'd never seen The goddamn Outlaw Josey Wales before? Not a hard man to find -- leaves dead men everywhere he goes.
    It's actually leapfrogged into becoming my favorite western of all time. I'm saddened that I missed this film when I was a younger man. I only saw it because it showed up on Netflix and you know... Clint. I retroactively developed even MORE hatred for the Academy when I discovered that it was ignored except for a nomination for Best Original Music Score.

I loved the relationship between Eastwood and Sam Bottom's character and how the kid toughened up and stopped whining about his soon to be fatal abdominal wound (which as I'm sure you know would have been hell on earth in those days). I also loved how Bottoms ended up cleverly and heroically saving Eastwood before his end. The way Eastwood's character treated the kid was so... manly and decent. I also loved the Indian, Lone Satie and his soon to be girlfriend, Little Moonlight who turned out to be such a badass.

Great story, just the right amount of melodrama, phenomenal writing, acting, and directing. The cinematography and editing was beautiful.

I feel ashamed that I didn't see it when it came out in '76 when I was in college. Then again, I'm also ashamed to say that I didn't see Dirty Harry until the mid 80s and that I voted for Al Gore before I started voting R.

Saw the new Halloween movie, it sucked ass. As a fan of the 2018 Halloween, i was majorly disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Saw the new Halloween movie, it sucked ass. As a fan of the 2018 Halloween, i was majorly disappointed.
    They all suck ass. Except Halloween and Halloween III: Season of the Witch. 2018 was just slightly more boring than the one in 2021.

Rip, find some way to watch the new Dune. Don’t wait until it’s out on disc.

I just re-ordered Welcome to Collinwood. I saw it in a theatre when it first came out and previously owned the DVD which somehow got lost. You can find it here: Welcome to Collinwood on Amazon. Personally, I try to only buy hard copies (DVD or Blue-Ray) because when I "buy" films digitally, I never feel like I really own them.

This movie is a gem though it received poor reviews and had dismal box-office results. Why? Too stylistic? I don't know. My wife and I fell in love with it from the opening scene. It's hilarious and a definite pick-me-up of a film, especially these days. It's about a group of moronic, largely unsuccessful criminals who decide to go after their final bellini (a made-up word as far as I can tell meaning a big score).

The comedic acting is great, the screenplay is very tight, and the cinematography is amazing (surprising considering that it's an indie film). The movie reminded me of the look of a Fellini movie (maybe Amarcord?). It's got a very surrealistic, heightened reality look and feel about it. I believe it has true cross-appeal for both men and women. It would make a great date night video as it's a little Three Stoogie and chick-filmish at the same time.

It's got one of the best cameo roles I can recall (George Clooney who was one of the producers). The overall cast is great.

It's a hard movie to classify but I believe Welcome to Collinwood is extremely under-appreciated. I actually wrote an Amazon review years ago but can't seem to find it. If anyone actually sees it because of what's written here, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this forum. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Rip, find some way to watch the new Dune. Don’t wait until it’s out on disc.
    I concur. It is by far the best movie adaptation of the book. Admittedly, that isn’t a really high bar, but I thoroughly enjoyed the new movie.

Dune (2021) is nothing short of a masterpiece. Denis Villeneuve is a generational talent. Please go see this movie in the theaters on a big screen. It is incredible.

I watched The Godfather (part I and II) this weekend. Useful film to watch in today's age. Great documentary on human behavior IMO.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So many great lines in that movie. "Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

My favorite Clint Eastwood movie is still The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.