Page 292 of 300 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,920 of 2998

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    William Friedkin died today at 87.
    The Exorcist and The French Connection are classics.
    To Live and Die in LA was stellar also. Man did he know how to film a car chase.

Just watched “Aliens” for about the 8th time. What a fantastic movie.

"Sisu" is now available on Amazon at $20 to buy DVD and $6 to rent. It's my kind of super-hero movie. I can't watch the others.

Been a while since I’ve been able to sit down and enjoy movies. Starting watching the Rocky series again. Man I love these movies.

We've started incorporating a movie night in my book club. I've foisted Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire onto them so I guess we're also going to watch 300. 300 doesn't do the story as much justice as Gates of Fire does but I still love the movie. I'm thinking of introducing other classics as I am one of the older members of the group. Taking suggestions if anyone has any. I know of a lot of drama-type books that have accompanying movies but I don't like those. I only know of them because I have to know what not to let my women friends talk me into seeing. (50 Shades, I'm lookin at you). And a lot of times the book and movie don't share a title (like Eaters of the Dead and 13th Warrior) so it's not obvious they go together. Also, you guys seem to mostly share my taste in movies. Mostly. Except for the childish crap I like, lol. So yeah- any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    We've started incorporating a movie night in my book club. I've foisted Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire onto them so I guess we're also going to watch 300. 300 doesn't do the story as much justice as Gates of Fire does but I still love the movie. I'm thinking of introducing other classics as I am one of the older members of the group. Taking suggestions if anyone has any. I know of a lot of drama-type books that have accompanying movies but I don't like those. I only know of them because I have to know what not to let my women friends talk me into seeing. (50 Shades, I'm lookin at you). And a lot of times the book and movie don't share a title (like Eaters of the Dead and 13th Warrior) so it's not obvious they go together. Also, you guys seem to mostly share my taste in movies. Mostly. Except for the childish crap I like, lol. So yeah- any ideas?
    The Fincher version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a really good adaptation of the book. The Swedish movies are more "accurate" in terms of adaptations - they are exactly like the books. But I like the Fincher version better.

Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy is supposed to be a really good adaptation. Gary Oldman in a John LeCarre story. Been on my list for a long time, but haven't watched it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Book: Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher. Movie: Jeremiah Johnson. Some will say the book Crow Killer is more complete but for book/movie pairing the Fisher novel is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Book: Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher. Movie: Jeremiah Johnson. Some will say the book Crow Killer is more complete but for book/movie pairing the Fisher novel is better.
    But misses the entire character of Sam Minard by about 10 miles.

Awesome! Thanks, guys! The gang seemed to approve of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I like the sound of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Mountain Man. It'll give a good break from my friend's pick of Last Kingdom. (Which seems good but very Game of Thrones-y.)

starting strength coach development program
    Still using Tubi for almost all my movie-watching. Watched "The People Across the Lake" last night, an 80's made-for-TV thriller starting Simon and Simon's Gerald McRaney, who plays a stockbroker who quits his high-stress job and moves his family to the country for some peace and quiet... but it turns out the rural life isn't as peaceful as they imagined when dead bodies start turning up near their lakeside home. For a TV-movie this actually got pretty dark. And even though it was supposed to take place in NorCal, all the rural townsfolk had deep south accents for some reason, which I found amusing.