starting strength gym
Page 300 of 301 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301 LastLast
Results 2,991 to 3,000 of 3009

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There are no better cowboys than Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot. And of course Robert Duvall.

Lately I've been watching action movies from China, Japan and Korea. They are high quality. The asians excel at action and emotion. Some recent popular action movies would be The Fable (2019) (but not the sequel), Along with the Gods (2017) (and the sequel), The Four (2012) (and sequels). Others which come to mind include Old Boy (2003), Extreme Job (2019) (comedy), Crying Fist (2005), Mad Detective (2007), Beast Cops (1998).

There are also Kurosawa's classics, some favorites are Kagemusha, The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro.

I know the general preference here is for Cowboys and Westerns over modern action movies. But Dredd 2012 is worth your time if you're after an action movie. It's actually a movie adaption of a comic book characters, and if you care about that stuff, it's probably one of the best and most faithful to it's source adaptions of another media into film. In the film universe, the US has only 3 Mega cities where all the population is centered and is policed by Judges, who act as judge jury and executioner.
    It's 90 minutes of fantastically filmed and beautifully gory action scenes. Well worth the watch and definitely under the radar. You will have a far higher opinion of Karl Urban after this movie.

Fun nerdy fact about the movie, they portray Mega City 1 as a crime ridden hellhole and actually quote a crime number per minute. This is actually far lower than the national US crime rate today.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly08 View Post
    Lately I've been watching action movies from China, Japan and Korea. They are high quality. The asians excel at action and emotion. Some recent popular action movies would be The Fable (2019) (but not the sequel), Along with the Gods (2017) (and the sequel), The Four (2012) (and sequels). Others which come to mind include Old Boy (2003), Extreme Job (2019) (comedy), Crying Fist (2005), Mad Detective (2007), Beast Cops (1998).

There are also Kurosawa's classics, some favorites are Kagemusha, The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro.
    If you are into these check out First Love by Takashi Miike. His films are available on peacock. His rendition of 13 assassins is also great.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNaz42 View Post
    If you are into these check out First Love by Takashi Miike. His films are available on peacock. His rendition of 13 assassins is also great.
    Will do. Dredd sounds fun too. Of course "The Magnificent Seven" was based on "The Seven Samurai" and two movies based on Yojimbo are "A Fistful of Dollars" and "Last Man Standing".

"The Last Detail" with Jack Nicholson is a good one...

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    I know the general preference here is for Cowboys and Westerns over modern action movies. But Dredd 2012 is worth your time if you're after an action movie. It's actually a movie adaption of a comic book characters, and if you care about that stuff, it's probably one of the best and most faithful to it's source adaptions of another media into film. In the film universe, the US has only 3 Mega cities where all the population is centered and is policed by Judges, who act as judge jury and executioner.
    It's 90 minutes of fantastically filmed and beautifully gory action scenes. Well worth the watch and definitely under the radar. You will have a far higher opinion of Karl Urban after this movie.

Fun nerdy fact about the movie, they portray Mega City 1 as a crime ridden hellhole and actually quote a crime number per minute. This is actually far lower than the national US crime rate today.
    Action movies are my jam and I have enjoyed Urban in anything I've ever seen him in. I liked Dredd. Enough to watch again every so often. I liked the combo of a little sci-fi with some action and a pinch of dystopian future. The Boys is probably my favorite Karl Urban. He's got some age on him and comes off rough and just done with it all. I identify with that so, so much. But he's funny as hell in Ragnarök. ("I even named them. Des and Troy.")

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Action movies are my jam and I have enjoyed Urban in anything I've ever seen him in. I liked Dredd. Enough to watch again every so often. I liked the combo of a little sci-fi with some action and a pinch of dystopian future. The Boys is probably my favorite Karl Urban. He's got some age on him and comes off rough and just done with it all. I identify with that so, so much. But he's funny as hell in Ragnarök. ("I even named them. Des and Troy.")
    Probably most of us feel that way. This is a good description. I'm going to check these out.

Not that it needs to be said but the new Roadhouse remake is shit and not worth your time.

starting strength coach development program
    Sam Elliot's portrayal of Gen. John Buford, although not playing a cowboy but a war-weary calvary officer, in the movie Gettysburg was top notch.