starting strength gym
Page 54 of 301 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I don't judge works of art by the degree to which they adhere or depart from the standards of established forms.
    Whoa. You just blew my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post
    My main problem with those Marvel movies is that the heroes can't get killed, and, often, the bad guys can't get killed either. That takes away a lot of the suspense. The Hulk slams Loki around like a rag doll, but they'll both be back again. Captain America fights Buddy or whatever his pal's name is, and they'll both be back.

Game of Thrones is great, in contrast, because any character can be killed. That makes it suspenseful.
    There is no need for stakes to be life or death in storytelling. In fact, the best stakes rarely are.

Civil war demonstrated that to damn near perfection. The Russo brothers are fucking geniuses. I would love to see what they could do with their own IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Harlan Ellison is so fucking weird that he was my favorite SF writer, back when I used to read for pleasure, when I was a kid. Mouth should be made into a movie.
    Terminator fan?

No Country is a great film, that I will watch only the one time.
    You're missing out.

Not a fan of the Terminator movies. And is there so much depth in No Country that I have to see it twice?

Not a fan of the Terminator movies. And is there so much depth in No Country that I have to see it twice?
    I read the book several years ago then watched the movie. I watched it again a few weeks ago and found it good for a second viewing. Some of the smaller parts had a lot more going on than I noticed the first time around. And a lot of the acting was at a remarkably good level that I hadn't consciously noticed the first viewing.

No Country is a great film, that I will watch only the one time.
    When I think about a movie like No Country, like you, I look at it as a film I only need to see once. It's (great) linear storytelling. Other movies, like, for example, The Prestige, reward a re-watching because of several reasons. In the case of The Prestige, 1) The twist at the end casts EVERYTHING in the movie in an entirely different light, and rewards re-watching, and B) David Bowie as Nikolai Fucking Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    David Bowie as Nikolai Fucking Tesla.
    AKA The Certified Good Shit [emoji108][emoji108]

I find many Coen brother movies to be worth watching a few times (with the exception of a few disappointments like Burn after reading, and Intolerable Cruelty).

They put so much work into their scenes - so much to savour.

Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post
    My main problem with those Marvel movies is that the heroes can't get killed, and, often, the bad guys can't get killed either. That takes away a lot of the suspense. The Hulk slams Loki around like a rag doll, but they'll both be back again. Captain America fights Buddy or whatever his pal's name is, and they'll both be back.

Game of Thrones is great, in contrast, because any character can be killed. That makes it suspenseful.
    if you haven't identified what characters have plot armor by now you haven't been watching very closely. Here's a hint, they're all targaryens

I have seen it more than once, and it does reward repeated viewings because, yes, there is some depth there. But for my money it's too hard to watch more than once every few years, at most.

starting strength coach development program
    That's what I meant. No Country is just unpleasant, no matter how good a film it is.