starting strength gym
Page 61 of 301 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    It's been a while since I was keeping up with this shit, so things may have changed since, but:

There isn't much native 4k (more accurately 2160p) content right now, so I imagine a lot of the content that is streamed in 4k is upsampled. Also, 4k is arguably redundant unless you're dealing with larger displays combined with larger viewing distances.

Not to mention the UHD standards, which I think are still evolving. It's likely that many 4k tv's bought today will be obsolete in short time (e.g. when higher bit depth content starts being produced).

My advice would be to invest in a good 1080p display that has good black levels and the potential to be properly calibrated.
    This is what I was getting at.

And correct me if I'm wrong but if the shit isn't shot in 4k, it's not really 4k

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    This is what I was getting at.

And correct me if I'm wrong but if the shit isn't shot in 4k, it's not really 4k
    If the source material was shot on film, it can be remastered in 4K. 35mm film has MUCH greater resolution than 1080p (or 4K for that matter).

The new Star Trek was very decent, not being a major fan of the original series or spin offs I think it was very well done. Not a lot of character stories, you see Kirk struggling with being a Captain in deep space, but don't really dive deeper in to that. More action and comedy than scifi. Also saw The 33 as well, the story about the Chilean miners who were stuck underground. I t was a good movie, showed the mental struggle that the miners faced as they were trying to survive.

I finally broke down and watched Gran Torino. I find the script a bit weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But every adult male should be prepared to rescue someone outnumbered by a group of thugs if need be, like his character Walt did in the movie. That was my favorite scene.

I can agree with that, I have only seen it once because once was enough. It was comical in some ways to hear Clint talk the way he did to everyone in the film, but as far as getting anything good from Clint in an acting role, I think this is as good as we will see him from here on out,

Stranger Things is very very good. Don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll leave it at that.

What has been your experience with the new 4K players? Worth the money? Brands?
    What's important to consider, imo, is the size of your display and your distance from the display, taking the limitations of human vision into account. For example, if you have a 60" screen and sit more than 12' away, you can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. You would have to be closer than 8' away from a 60" screen in order to begin considering higher resolution than 1080p. In other words, at 9' away, your eyes are not capable of detecting a difference between 1080p and Ultra HD. From there, you can determine whether or not a 4k player would even be relevant or not in terms of image quality.

I like even the average movies of Clint Eastwood. He has a special talent at capturing human emotions. He can make it very personal for the audience. That's the sort of talent even great directors, those beloved to critics and worshiped by audience, don't seem to have. J.Edgar is another very average movie of his and I still liked it.
    Mystic River, on the other hand, is a really great movie of his. Left a lasting impression.