starting strength gym
Page 92 of 301 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What is The OA?

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    I really, really enjoyed The OA (Jason Isaacs was outstanding) and Stranger Things.
    Stranger Things is an absolutely perfect 80s-movie pastiche. Loved it.

The OA is...truly bizarre. It's full of woo-woo pseudo-mysticism, but also hard-hitting, and doesn't go for the easy answers. I agree that Jason Isaacs was fantastic in it. My biggest gripe was how much of the story centered around "the movements" -- i.e. a series of weird gestures which, to anyone who has ever seen modern dance or studied theater in college, are just...utterly cliche. The rest was compelling enough that I was able to look past it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is The OA?
    A new sci-fi series created by Netflix. In brief, a woman goes missing for several years and comes back with supernatural powers, but can't explain where they came from. It's good (so far). I've only watched the first two episodes, but will definitely watch the rest of the series. I'm sure the excessive detail I provided here will be enough to prompt you to begin watching immediately...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is The OA?
    Looks like a Netflix mystery series.

Has anyone seen The Accountant? It's pretty awesome and Ben Affleck doesn't totally suck in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_Chucktown View Post
    I've seen The OA on the queue. I'll have to check that out, thanks. I gave Stranger Things a shot when it came out but I wasn't too impressed after three episodes. I assume you recommend I finish it?
    If you didn't like Stranger Things you don't have a soul. You are probably coming from the Upside Down.

The Accountant was decent but on because Affleck didn't exactly talk that much.

Watched Bone Tomahawk last night, it was pretty good. Loved the old man in the movie, he added a small bit of humor to the film.

The OA was one of the most disappointing series I have ever watched. The first few episodes are good and then it goes downhill very fast. Please read a review or two before committing to it. The New York Times said this, "To me, the ending of “The OA” was ludicrous and cheaply provocative; some folks wired differently may find it haunting and profound. Just beware. This wonder box is gorgeously gift-wrapped, but the time you’ll invest in it is nonreturnable."

I am watching season 2 of The Missing now. It is really good.

Saw 'Fences' on Saturday afternoon.

One of the best films I've seen in quite a while. The dialogue was amazing, although I grew up with a lot of black 'cousins', 'aunts' and 'uncles', so I am guessing that without a similar reference point, some of the dialogue may not be as endearing to others. The vast majority of it transcends black culture from that period though and could easily be an Irish or Polish immigrant or whatever neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
    The OA was one of the most disappointing series I have ever watched. The first few episodes are good and then it goes downhill very fast. Please read a review or two before committing to it. The New York Times said this, "To me, the ending of “The OA” was ludicrous and cheaply provocative; some folks wired differently may find it haunting and profound. Just beware. This wonder box is gorgeously gift-wrapped, but the time you’ll invest in it is nonreturnable."

I am watching season 2 of The Missing now. It is really good.
    I think many of the negative reviews of the OA were by people who have been spoiled by realism and plausibility, and lack imagination. The idea of movements as a technology was brilliant, imo. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending of season 1, so I'll reserve judgment until season 2. But the journey was highly rewarding even if the destination was unclear.

And yea, I thought season 2 of The Missing was even better than the first.

starting strength coach development program
    Watched Greater last night. I'm a sucker for sports movies especially when based on a true story. This one worked for me.