starting strength gym
Page 4 of 301 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHS View Post
    I was particularly disappointed with American Sniper. Not one of Clint's better films.
    I love CE's films and agree that AS was near the bottom of my list too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    His best recent movie was The Prestige, 2006. It bears watching at least twice.
    +1 That was great.

'Into The Furnace' and 'The Machinist' aka 'Get This Skinny Bastard On GOMAD ASAP' are really good CB films too.

I think Mad Max: Fury Road takes all comers this year, though Creed was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    My personal favorite of all time is The Wind and the Lion. It had everything, Brian Keith as TR, Sean Connery as the Raisuli, Candice Bergen looking very hot, and the USMC kicking ass. That quick time march from the harbor to the palace was classic.
    One of my top 5 of all time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    +1 That was great.

'Into The Furnace' and 'The Machinist' aka 'Get This Skinny Bastard On GOMAD ASAP' are really good CB films too.
    Christian Bale went from The Machinist to Batman in around 6 months. The Costume designers for Batman Begins under estimated how much weight he could put on in that time. He was too big for the suit.

Bone Tomahawk is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyguywithasword View Post
    I think Mad Max: Fury Road takes all comers this year, though Creed was quite good.
    Fury Road was a life-changer for me. I knew I wanted action movies with more practical effects, editing that lets you see what's going on, and MORE WOMEN, but I didn't know just how wonderful all of that would be until I saw it. It's rare to see a movie in any genre with such flawless execution.

I find Tarantino somewhat irritating and mannered. At his worst, his dialogue rivals an unrestrained David Mamet, and most of the scenes that other people find shocking leave me cold -- okay, we get it, you're super edgy. That being said, I'll sit down and watch From Dusk Til Dawn any time, but Rodriguez deserves at least equal credit for how great that movie turned out. And I do have a soft spot for the second half of Death Proof, but since I loved Fury Road you could probably figure that out anyway.

All due respect to Kurt Russell and Samuel L. Jackson for their other masterful portrayals in Tombstone and Rules of Engagement.

But that punk director, whose career began renting videos in Manhattan Beach, CA, and whose name I will not waste the energy to type, is a waste of skin and an oxygen thief. I only once saw one of his movies involuntarily when visiting family friends who disappointed me by showing one of his movies they rented.
    Look out we got a bad ass film snob over here.
    Inglorious Basterds.

Never had the desire to be modish and watch his other Silly Bullshit. Suburban white boys trying to sell woof tickets about their badiousity have left me cold since the 70's.
    This makes a little more sense. I love Tarantino and think IB is his worst. Not just compared to his work, it is legitimately bad movie. Made worse by BJ Novak somehow bribing his way into screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    Fury Road was a life-changer for me. I knew I wanted action movies with more practical effects, editing that lets you see what's going on, and MORE WOMEN, but I didn't know just how wonderful all of that would be until I saw it. It's rare to see a movie in any genre with such flawless execution.

I find Tarantino somewhat irritating and mannered. At his worst, his dialogue rivals an unrestrained David Mamet, and most of the scenes that other people find shocking leave me cold -- okay, we get it, you're super edgy. That being said, I'll sit down and watch From Dusk Til Dawn any time, but Rodriguez deserves at least equal credit for how great that movie turned out. And I do have a soft spot for the second half of Death Proof, but since I loved Fury Road you could probably figure that out anyway.
    Well, I think QT gets too wrapped up in his own style, Pulp Fiction is probably his best movie over all, and Reservoir Dogs would make a much better stage play than a movie (though Harvey Keitel is always great), but his "70's exploitation" obsession is tiring. We get it, you watched a lot of crappy movies 30 years ago. Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds are only interesting if you've never seen what they're copying.

Fury Road is nuts, though. Really seamless, visually stunning, amazing acting and it tells a complex story without any exposition, whatsoever.

starting strength coach development program
    Best traditional purist action film in several years:

John Wick

Page 4 of 301 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast