starting strength gym
Page 50 of 301 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    2001's an excellent movie. First time I watched it, I was bombarded with devastating insights. I was slightly high, so that probably played a role. For some reason, the scene with Heywood Floyd and the red chairs always stuck out to me. I was struck by how relaxed his body language was.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Hey Rip, I finally got to watching 2001: A Space Odyssey this weekend, after you recommended it when we talked for the podcast back in April. I'd watched it probably 15 years ago, and liked it, but was too young to really appreciate it. It's a helluva film.
    Somehow 2001: A Space Odyssey always strikes as a technically accomplished, cold, analytical, calculating to the minutest detail and occasionally carrying a bit of intellectual pretense. Among films of similar genre, I found Andrei Trakovsky's 1972 film, Solaris to be far more satisfying in spite of its technical limitations

In contrast, I could not finish Solaris, and I've watched 2001 at least 30 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In contrast, I could not finish Solaris, and I've watched 2001 at least 30 times.
    I myself watched Solaris a couple of times and 2001 half a dozen times. I'd still say 2001 suffers from the same malady as any other movie of Kubrick's does, over-intellectualization and obsessive attention to detail over-compensating for the cold detachment dry of any emotional involvement. I watch his movies quite often to admire the technical brilliance. But they are so emotionally dry in general that I never found The Shining to be even remotely scary. In my opinion, the only emotion he is effective at expressing as a film-maker is sarcasm in the context of war and human tendency to (self) destruct. That's probably why Dr. Strangelove is my favorite among all his movies. His brilliant sarcastic sense of humor can be seen in the war scene in Barry Lyndon. It's a personal view-point of mine though.

Default DI bad ass dialogue

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    I'll second that. When I watch the first part of that movie, I can smell it.
    Roger fucking that!

R. Lee Ermy was a USMC Drill Instructor and he convinced Kubrick (sp?) to let him ad lib most of his lines.

Saw the movie when it was released and my wife insisted that I let go for her hand vice insisting holding hands all the way through. She said I was squeezing her hand all during the boot phase.

Not in Hue City but a friend of mine drove a flame tank there (not a grunt) and he was not impressed with that half.

You're certainly correct about The Shining. It was not really a horror film. I just watched Barry Lyndon​ a few months ago, and while it was visually interesting, it was very dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    I myself watched Solaris a couple of times and 2001 half a dozen times. I'd still say 2001 suffers from the same malady as any other movie of Kubrick's does, over-intellectualization and obsessive attention to detail over-compensating for the cold detachment dry of any emotional involvement. I watch his movies quite often to admire the technical brilliance. But they are so emotionally dry in general that I never found The Shining to be even remotely scary. In my opinion, the only emotion he is effective at expressing as a film-maker is sarcasm in the context of war and human tendency to (self) destruct. That's probably why Dr. Strangelove is my favorite among all his movies. His brilliant sarcastic sense of humor can be seen in the war scene in Barry Lyndon. It's a personal view-point of mine though.
    There is a formality to his work that can be cold, but the humanity still shines through. Have you seen Paths of Glory?

I also didn't find The Shining to be that frightening, and I didn't enjoy it that much (nor the book). I do love Stephen King, though. Just read "It" last summer. Easily one of the best books I've ever read.

I really do not understand why Stephen King is considered a horror writer.

Solaris is the most boring movie I have ever finished watching. Will go down as one of my regrets.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    There is a formality to his work that can be cold, but the humanity still shines through. Have you seen Paths of Glory?
    Criticism of war. The only theme he isn't indifferent to.