Page 142 of 301 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Nothing Homeric there.

My Name is Nobody is one of Henry Fonda's last westerns.

It's a really solid coming story about the end of an era. It has a lot of little details that really bring it to life. (Horse foam for example)

Looking forward to the new Kingsman moving coming out tonight although I probably won't get to see it for a few days. I thought the first one was mostly a hoot and a lot more fun than recent Bond or Bourne movies.

Anyone see Mongol (2007)?

Just recently rewatched, I think it's pretty damn good. Russian production, dialogue in Mongolian with (I believe) mostly Mongolian actors. Chronicles the early life of Genghis Khan, or as he is still known at that point, Temudjin.

I watched it a while back. Excellent photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatamon View Post
    Anyone see Mongol (2007)?

Just recently rewatched, I think it's pretty damn good. Russian production, dialogue in Mongolian with (I believe) mostly Mongolian actors. Chronicles the early life of Genghis Khan, or as he is still known at that point, Temudjin.
    It'd have to be better than that howler The Conqueror made in 1956 with (wait for it) John Wayne cast as Genghis Khan.

But in this vein of horsemen of the steppes, Taras Bulba with Yul Brynner was not bad at all. You got the Poles versus the Cossacks who then unite to drive out the Ottoman Turks. Yeah, the Ottomans got that far North into central and Eastern Europe.

In light of the recent controversy, I'd recommend to folks "Taking Chance". It was never a box office hit, but it was a well done movie. Brings a lot of things into perspective about the military, respect and reverence. Surprisingly, Kevin Bacon pulled off the lead role fairly well...

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    In light of the recent controversy, I'd recommend to folks "Taking Chance". It was never a box office hit, but it was a well done movie. Brings a lot of things into perspective about the military, respect and reverence. Surprisingly, Kevin Bacon pulled off the lead role fairly well...
    Seconded. Deeply respectful portrayal of bringing home a soldier who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by tbennett View Post
    Seconded. Deeply respectful portrayal of bringing home a soldier who made the ultimate sacrifice.
    Agreed. I keep looking for it on Netflix, hoping it will make it's way there.

It was a fallen Marine, not a soldier. I called my son a soldier instead of a Marine. Once. Early in his career. He squared me away on not making that mistake again.

Went and saw Blade Runner 2049 and it was the best sequel I've ever seen and probably the best movie I've ever seen. Kept a lot of what was good from the first one and was amazingly executed. I'd recommend going and seeing it in theaters.

starting strength coach development program
    I was blown away by Blade Runner 2049, particularly the first hour. I didn't think a sequel would be able to create the same sense of disorientation (present in all the greatest sci-fi works) that the original did.

I wouldn't even say the general story or themes explored are all that original, just that it was well acted and contained some of the most stunning visuals I've seen in a movie. Unlike something like Alien: Covenant (a watchable but ultimately unsatisfying movie), I felt that this did about as good a job of expanding it's universe as you would hope.

I'd be interested in what someone who truly didn't like the movie thought and why?