starting strength gym
Page 172 of 301 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 3009

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Which one? The are several with that title.
    This one - https://www.netflix.com/title/80217312

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Joksimovic View Post
    The Cloverfield Paradox was a bait and switch. Showed a little bit of promise early on, but it ended up being just a bunch of complete nonsense crap with no payoff. I read somewhere that the studio may just be buying up unused scripts, tweaking them, and slapping the "Cloverfield" name on it to force a tie-in. After the stupid/confusing ending to 10 Cloverfield Lane (which was otherwise a decent movie) it seems very plausible.
    I actually burst out laughing at the last scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    I actually burst out laughing at the last scene.
    Spoiler Alert: highlight to read

What the hell were they thinking? It was actually a really decent movie up until that point and then frickin aliens? How did that tie in with the original Cloverfield? Or even this new Paradox movie? It's a shame because I remember actually really liking the original minus the "monster close up" scene, but this mythos around it now is just awful to the point that it taints the movie for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Joksimovic View Post
    Spoiler Alert: highlight to read

What the hell were they thinking? It was actually a really decent movie up until that point and then frickin aliens? How did that tie in with the original Cloverfield? Or even this new Paradox movie? It's a shame because I remember actually really liking the original minus the "monster close up" scene, but this mythos around it now is just awful to the point that it taints the movie for me.
    At least 10 Cloverfield Lane was actually a good film. The series now seems like just a dumping ground for subpar releases. Change the title, reshoot two scenes, and slap some viral marketing on it. It's a scam.

All this talk about bad monster movies makes me feel bad enough that I should recommend a good one, so if you haven't seen it, one of the most underrated monster movies is probably Splinter from 2008... absolutely fantastic (albeit smaller) monster...

The Classic Movie Marathon continues. Started with Citizen Kane. I hadn't seen it in 40 years, and while I understand its importance from the standpoint of directing and cinematography, with the script predating modern non-sequential narration, the retold story of William Randolph Hearst is just not that compelling. In contrast, To Kill a Mockingbird is one I hadn't ever seen, for some strange reason. It really deserves its place in any Top 10 list of films. In black and white from 1962, Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch and his little daughter Scout, and this amazing story will make you cry if you're not a soulless beast.

Casablanca is playing now. Doctor Zhivago is next.

The Classic Movie Marathon continues. Started with Citizen Kane. I hadn't seen it in 40 years, and while I understand its importance from the standpoint of directing and cinematography, with the script predating modern non-sequential narration, the retold story of William Randolph Hearst is just not that compelling. In contrast, To Kill a Mockingbird is one I hadn't ever seen, for some strange reason. It really deserves its place in any Top 10 list of films. In black and white from 1962, Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch and his little daughter Scout, and this amazing story will make you cry if you're not a soulless beast.

Now To Kill a Mockingbird is joining the list of banned books, because the lefties are realizing that it violates the current mantra, that victims are always to be believed, and to defend the accused is to be beneath contempt. I wonder how Harper Lee is dealing with her new found infamy. I suppose it underlines the true genius of the book, that it is actually dealing with timeless themes - just rearrange the characters a little and you have anytime, anyplace. Of course, none of these idiots have ever actually read the book.

What did you guys who have “Kong Skull Island” think of it?

Orson Welles is right there with Kubrick. Only less cold but more pompous. Intellectuals often seem to fall in love with their own intelligence to the point of narcissism.

Atticus Finch is probably one of the best characters ever written.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Giri Kotte View Post
    Atticus Finch is probably one of the best characters ever written.
    I think it would be interesting to see a modernized version of To Kill a Mockingbird with the setting changed to a college campus and the accused changed to a white male frat boy. Atticus Finch might be a lawyer working for Fire. You get essentially the same story with the same mob mentality (lynching in the modern age has been replaced by making someone chronically unhirable or unable to enroll in a different university, accomplishing the same), but instead of everyone thinking that they would be the ones out there supporting Atticus Finch, you would actually recreate the animosity that a character like that would have really had to have put up with by virtually everyone.

Just like everyone assumes that they would have been the person who, like Captain von Trapp in Sound of Music, pulled down the Nazi banners when he found them hanging at his house. More likely, they would have been the ones who turned him in for pulling them down.