Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 3002

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What don't you get about LOTR?
    The real question is what there is not to get. Well-shot, a pretty simple story, incredible action and battle scenes.
    The appeal? The praise? Most things people say about it?

Admittedly I haven't watched the second or third, but just based on the Fellowship I don't get it. I just am not seeing it the same way everyone else is I guess, nothing particularly outstanding about it to me...

It is an archetypal Northern European hero cycle, designed as such by an important scholar of the genre. Hundreds of millions of people have read it for decades, and the film version was an exceptionally careful adaptation of very difficult material to film. I guess you lack the background, but that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Joksimovic View Post
    The appeal? The praise? Most things people say about it?

Admittedly I haven't watched the second or third, but just based on the Fellowship I don't get it. I just am not seeing it the same way everyone else is I guess, nothing particularly outstanding about it to me...
    Finish the damn thing and report back! It's much more than the sum of its parts. One of the few movies that will make me cry every single time I watch it.

It is an archetypal Northern European hero cycle, designed as such by an important scholar of the genre. Hundreds of millions of people have read it for decades, and the film version was an exceptionally careful adaptation of very difficult material to film. I guess you lack the background, but that's okay.
    Mark, what's your opinion of The Game of Thrones? George RR Martin intended it to be a similar epic but addressing its fault of having black and white morality.

Just watched Three Days of the Condor. Not as impressed as I'm supposed to be.
    It's right up there with The Graduate and such. Good but in the context of a particular time period and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri Kotte View Post
    Mark, what's your opinion of The Game of Thrones? George RR Martin intended it to be a similar epic but addressing its fault of having black and white morality.
    This is the Movie thread.

Is anyone excited to see the Avengers: Infinity War? I got tickets and excited to see it since I enjoyed the other movies by the Russo brothers.

I am. I'm so glad the Russo brothers took over from Josh Whelan who was too goofy/jokey for me compared with the bros.' sense of humor and their pacing is better. I do prefer my "solo" adventurers over the massive cast of characters in general though (Capt. America #2) and The Black Panther.
    Infinity War will be quite the "extravaganza.

Quote Originally Posted by Inverstone View Post
    I am. I'm so glad the Russo brothers took over from Josh Whelan who was too goofy/jokey for me compared with the bros.' sense of humor and their pacing is better. I do prefer my "solo" adventurers over the massive cast of characters in general though (Capt. America #2) and The Black Panther.
    Infinity War will be quite the "extravaganza.
    I totally agree and prefer the Russo brothers over Whedon. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies do get me with the humor and soundtrack.
    I do prefer the solo movies but hoping this one is good. Josh Brolin's voice as Thanos comes across awesome. That punch in the trailer knocking Ironman to the ground leaves an impression.

Wyatt Earp (the Kostner version?) is very historically accurate
    Yes, unfortunately, it got eclipsed by Tombstone when it was released at around the exact same time. Quaid lost a ton of weight (all muscle at that) to play the role of Doc Holliday and never got any appreciation for the effort.

I think that "3 Days of the Condor" was a LOT more startling when it 1st came
    Probably. I liked it when I caught it as the late night movie when I was a kid. Redford, Faye Dunaway, and Max Von Sydow were good. I like most of Sydney Pollack's films. But, yeah, when I saw it again 10 years ago or so, I was like "really?" I couldn't remember what I had thought was so cool. I'd love to see how the public would react to it nowadays given the nature of the Redford-Dunaway relationship.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry about the Costner and Whedon spellings...gonna blame SpellCheck. The "kids these days" apparently require everything to be a "team" or group conciousness. When I got into comics as a kid, they were "addressed" to the loners and/or desire for rugged individualism. Batman was self trained.
    Studied chemistry, sciences, detective apprenticeships with humans instead of all the mumbo jumbo Rhas a Ghul (sp?), ninja stuff. Barry Allen as the Flash was the same, etc. etc. I appreciate the team thing in smaller doses but the desire within oneself to rise to the occasion is diminished and overrun in my view by everything being group oriented and dependence on other's. Kinda contrary to the thing that drives us all to lift weights.
    So, even though the gigantic "everybody in the universe is in this thing" is not an attraction for me, I can't resist the upcoming Avengers film. Once a geek always a geek.