starting strength gym
Page 186 of 301 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yeah, forgot to mention Ex Machina. Really liked that one too. Intelligent and different from the "usual". When I learned that "Annihilation" had the same director it got me interested. It does seem like most people only want/like to see the "same old same old" over and over and over again. It's nice when there's a bit of a different angle or approach to Sci-Fi. The same box office bomb applied to Blade Runner 2919 although that's often blamed on an inadequate advertising campaign that didn't explain adequately what the film was even about.

Quote Originally Posted by Inverstone View Post
    The same box office bomb applied to Blade Runner 2919 although that's often blamed on an inadequate advertising campaign that didn't explain adequately what the film was even about.
    It still made money. If it were the director's intent to make it for mass audiences I think an hour would have been cut off the run time.

+1 to your Brassed Off and Drum Line recommendations.

"Harold and Maud" one of the best movies I have ever watched, yes call me a hippie but this movie is awesome i highly recommend.

Saw Incredibles 2 today. If you have kids, go see it, it’s a fun one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    It(annihilation) was a really dark and creepy movie. The end was some really haunting stuff and I thought most of it was good, granted I didn't read the book. A cast of mostly women and an interesting enough premise, yet bombs at the box office. People are stupid. Where are the people who threw a hissy fit after the new Ghostbusters got railed? These are the types of movies they should be supporting. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Interstingly enough, the guy who directed it also directed Ex Machina. Excited to see what he does next.
    I'd call it more of a miscast of mostly women, a bit of the old pink sci-fi. I'd prefer to see realistic characters, regardless of sex, with strong storytelling. I enjoyed the direction in Ex Machina, but I don't think the original material gave Alex Garland much to work with in Annihilation. I've read the Southern Reach trilogy and several other of Jeff VanderMeer's works, and they all tend towards spellbinding atmosphere while lacking substantial story. Not a fan.

Watched Hollywood Knights again last night. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and it didn't age as well as I thought it would have. I noticed a lot of problems that I had previously ignored. Too bad, since it used to be a lot of fun.

Haven’t posted in years, but I’m slightly tipsy on a Wednesday night and was reading through this thread.

Two old flicks I catch myself watching over and over are Run Silent, Run Deep (Gable) and Twelve O’Clock High (Peck).

Similar stories and tragic endings for the leads - seeing an objective through to the bitter end regardless of the personal cost.

I’m frequently amazed by the length of several unbroken scenes in these movies, acted without a hitch. Peck’s chew-out of the squadron air exec is particularly memorable.

Coach Rip,

Try Three O'clock High if you can find it. Filmed in the 80's. Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack to increase the hysterical tension. Multiple viewings will uncover clever details. A wonderfully funny watch.

Two things, one from a ways back in this thread and another one unrelated to that:

Thing One
    Modern fight choreography: The Robert Downey Sherlock Holmes movies not only show the action in real time, but include slow-mo and narration describing in some detail the goings on of the made up martial art of Baritsu that Doyle described in a few of his stories and novellas. Good stuff too. Holmes' moves look very Chinese-like. Probably the same stuff that inspired Fairbairn and Sykes when they were in the Colonial Police in Shanghai doing dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

Thing Two
    I finally watched Valdez is Coming all the way through last night. Never saw but glimpses of it before. Very good stuff, which was clearly inspired by Eastwood's spaghetti Westerns. Hector Elizondo had a sadly small role in that, but he an Burt Lancaster were great in it. I came away with the sense that elements of it informed Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant_81 View Post
    Haven’t posted in years, but I’m slightly tipsy on a Wednesday night and was reading through this thread.

Two old flicks I catch myself watching over and over are Run Silent, Run Deep (Gable) and Twelve O’Clock High (Peck).

Similar stories and tragic endings for the leads - seeing an objective through to the bitter end regardless of the personal cost.

I’m frequently amazed by the length of several unbroken scenes in these movies, acted without a hitch. Peck’s chew-out of the squadron air exec is particularly memorable.
    Watched Twelve O'Clock High last night. Excellent film, highly recommended. Thanks to the Sarge for the recommendation.