starting strength gym
Page 208 of 301 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218258 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlon Muncy View Post
    Man, I haven’t seen that movie in YEARS. I need to look into watching it again this weekend if I can find it.

Another favorite of mine is “Das Boot”
    Yes! I think this is THE best submarine film ever made. For those who require lots of action you'll need to be patient through the lst 1/2 or so...
    part of the drama is the realistic balancing of crew boredom with what eventually rains down on them. An excellent followup book and great true
    adventure is "Shadow Divers" by Robt. Kurson.
    Das Boot film and this book got me into wreck diving a few years back. They compliment each other uncannily. There is an english dubbed version.

Lately I've been interested in movies where critics and fans are divided more or less down the middle. One such that I discovered is the 2014 remake/reboot/whatever of RoboCop. I'm a huge fan of Paul Verhoeven's work (the original RoboCop, Starship Troopers, Total Recall) so I had dismissed the 2014 movie out of hand until I saw it was 49% on Rotten Tomatoes, 52% on Metacritic, and 6.2/10 on IMDb.

The movie does have flaws, but most movies do, and I really liked that the production went in a more or less completely different direction than the original. Good action sequences complimented the philosophical exploration without being the entire focus.

Plus you have Gary Oldman who can lift any movie up a few notches.

Anyone else seen it and have an opinion?

Now, Endgame ...what do you guys think? Despite lasting 3 hours I have this feeling that they rushed the movie someway..I am disappointed, as a huge marvel fan I don't understand how they could let the Hulk aside in the final battle (that could be a little more epic) since las fight with Thanos. And some other thing didn't seem right to me.
    Talking about the role of Capt. Marvel in the movie, apart from rescuing Stark..she fought 1 minute with Thanos and could have been more than that or not? And fat Thor...come on. I really didn't like this one. That was a joke.
    Sure, there were some cool moments like Capt. America fighting with Thor's hammer but nothing more than that to me. Infinity war was really better in my opinion.

As mentioned on the podcast, Deadwood was one of the best shows to grace the TV screen in a long time. The movie is close:

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by David Masini View Post
    Now, Endgame ...what do you guys think? Despite lasting 3 hours I have this feeling that they rushed the movie someway..I am disappointed, as a huge marvel fan I don't understand how they could let the Hulk aside in the final battle (that could be a little more epic) since las fight with Thanos. And some other thing didn't seem right to me.
    Talking about the role of Capt. Marvel in the movie, apart from rescuing Stark..she fought 1 minute with Thanos and could have been more than that or not? And fat Thor...come on. I really didn't like this one. That was a joke.
    Sure, there were some cool moments like Capt. America fighting with Thor's hammer but nothing more than that to me. Infinity war was really better in my opinion.
    I thought it was fine. It was kind of a miracle that Infinity War worked so well and the more I think about that one the more impressed with it I am. If you think of Endgame more as Iron Man 4 it seems a lot better. Endgame was 3 hours long and didn't feel like its length, so I think that's win for everyone.

Watched Hereditary this week. Came highly recommended, was only pretty good. Thor:Ragnarok was my least favorite of the franchise so far.

Big fan of the talkies. Here are some I really enjoy that I don't recall seeing mentioned previously, but perhaps they were and I missed it:

The Night of the Hunter (1955)
    The Night of the Hunter (1955) - IMDb
    What can I say, one of my all time favorites. Robert Mitchum playing a traveling preacher with love/hate knuckle tats, Charles Laughton taking his shot at movie making. This film has it all.

Valhalla Rising (2009)
    Valhalla Rising (2009) - IMDb
    Vikings coming to the New World. This one can be rough to get through. Feels like a never ending nightmare at times. Not a lot of dialogue. I really enjoy Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Pusher, Bronson) as a director and Mads Mikkelsen usually delivers. Not for everyone.

Bad Lieutenant (1992)
    Bad Lieutenant (1992) - IMDb
    This is my favorite performance by Harvey Keitel.

Have you seen The Duellists (1977), Keitel in Ridley Scott's first directorial effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you seen The Duellists (1977), Keitel in Ridley Scott's first directorial effort?
    I know this question wasn't for me but what a great film. Great fight choreography, great story, great acting, great psychological insight.

Watched The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) recently. Not as strong but some of the same feel.

Alatriste (The Spanish Musketeer) with Viggo Mortensen is also worth a look. It's darker, slower and much more violent, the plot meanders a bit, but the main character is great and the fight scenes seem very real. In Spanish.

Completely unrelated, The Guard. Small town corrupt cop in Ireland. Major drug shipment. FBI becomes involved. Violence and dark humour,main character reminds me of Rip, but you may need sub titles for the Irish accents.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rudd View Post
    Alatriste (The Spanish Musketeer) with Viggo Mortensen is also worth a look. It's darker, slower and much more violent, the plot meanders a bit, but the main character is great and the fight scenes seem very real. In Spanish.
    Any subtitles to that? Mortensen is hard to beat in any film, but an action movie is his real forte. I recommend Arturo Perez-Reverte's series on Captain Alatriste (the English translation of course, I habla, but not that well) for well researched sword and political derring-do in Spain during what us Anglos would refer to as the Elizabethan Era.