starting strength gym
Page 213 of 301 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223263 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 3002

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is a very interesting and entertaining movie on multiple levels. It draws you into a world and makes it feel very real and alive. Great performances by all and Brad Pitt is at his best in a very believable role that he has aged perfectly into.

Watched Point Break (1991). An amazing film I'd only seen once a long time ago, but one that stands the test of time very well. Kathryn Bigelow's direction is concise and clean, and Reaves and Swayze are actual men. Very refreshing.

I've been waiting 4 years to have a reason to comment in this thread and now the time has come.

I want to watch True Grit. Should I watch the 1969 version or the 2010 version or both and in which order?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Watch both. They're different to a certain degree from each other but the 2nd Cohen Bros. one is much closer to the original book and even though I love the original John Wayne version I personally prefer the newer version.
    I'd watch the old version lst as it's closer to a "standard" movie while the newer version uses more archaic language, etc. The Rooster Cogburns are similar but different from each other to a certain degree.

The girl in the new version is an exceptional actress and very mature for her age. The lst one is kind of iconic in "pop culture history" so you should experience it for that alone just so you know what other folks have held dear to their movie going hearts for decades.

There IS a reason that both Wayne and Bridges won best actor Oscars for the same role so enjoy 'em both!

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I've been waiting 4 years to have a reason to comment in this thread and now the time has come.

I want to watch True Grit. Should I watch the 1969 version or the 2010 version or both and in which order?
    Both are worth watching. 2010 one is fantastic, which isn’t very typical for remakes—I think quite a bit better than the original. IMHO Bridges is far better in the role than Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Both are worth watching. 2010 one is fantastic, which isn’t very typical for remakes—I think quite a bit better than the original. IMHO Bridges is far better in the role than Wayne.
    Agree 100%. I found Glen Campbell's acting painful to watch in the original.

I watched the 2010 version because it was on amazon prime. I enjoyed it. Pretty solid acting all around. Good pacing. I appreciated the granularity of even simple scenes like cutting the hanged body down. There's a lot of attention to detail I liked about this movie. And of course, Jeff Bridges is phenomenal.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

As much as I revere The Duke and as good as he played Rooster Cogburn, I have to give the edge to Bridges. His gravely voice in that movie was force to be reckoned with all on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Agree 100%. I found Glen Campbell's acting painful to watch in the original.
    Agreed, but then so was Matt Damon's. IMO, it was a requirement of the role to explode the myth of the omniscient Texas Ranger.

Wer was a good scary flick. Completely different approach to the werewolf myth.

starting strength coach development program
    Catching up: Dog Soldiers had potential for a werewolf movie, and in fact the acting was pretty good. But when the reviewers start talking about "Jaws meets Aliens meets Predator with a twist!" and they put this on the cover, there's just not much there.

There Will Be Blood with Daniel Day Lewis (how many times has he retired?) was a great film, with Lewis demonstrating his talent as usual. Not much blood, lots of crude oil, great performances by the whole cast. Watch it if you haven't.

Manhunter started the Hannibal Lecktor franchise in 1986. Lots of time spent on the forensics, lots of excellent 80s haircuts, Kim Griest is beautiful, and the Lecktor character played by Brian Cox foreshadows the Hopkins performance quite well.