starting strength gym
Page 218 of 301 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 3002

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Manhunter started the Hannibal Lecktor franchise in 1986. Lots of time spent on the forensics, lots of excellent 80s haircuts, Kim Griest is beautiful, and the Lecktor character played by Brian Cox foreshadows the Hopkins performance quite well.
    I realize this is an old post but I couldn’t resist. I love this film, own it, and have watched it around five times.

This is truly a thinking man’s horror movie. In some ways the best of the series. The cinematography isn’t as visually stunning but the somewhat low budget appearance adds to the creepiness.

The scene at the first crime scene where the profiler gets into the killer’s head and realizes that he must have felt compelled to have taken off his glove to touch the housewife victim is chilling. It was intense when he told his fellow FBI agent to get hold of a fingerprint expert who could lift a print off a cornea.

Even now that scene gives me the willies.

Update: Watched two from 2014 I hadn't seen. Hellboy was a fun monster movie, with more cool monsters and more blood and (literally) guts than anything I've seen before. Stupid, but fun. And Lucy is another vehicle for Scarlett Johansson to prove her ability to be both hot, talanted, and choose excellent scripts to showcase her talent. At least as good as Ghost in the Shell, you really need to watch it.

Update: Watched two from 2014 I hadn't seen. Hellboy was a fun monster movie, with more cool monsters and more blood and (literally) guts than anything I've seen before. Stupid, but fun. And Lucy is another vehicle for Scarlett Johansson to prove her ability to be both hot, talanted, and choose excellent scripts to showcase her talent. At least as good as Ghost in the Shell, you really need to watch it.
    Guillermo del Toro gets acclaim for Pan’s Labyrinth, and rightly so, but his earlier film Cronos from 1993 is my favorite. After Let the Right One In, it’s probably the most original take on the vampire mythos put to film. And you get all of del Toro’s beautiful character designs.

You are what we call "smug," to think you know the sum of a person's character based upon a single quotation that person is supposed to have said. So easy, so satisfying, for assessments to be so simple! I hope your actual judgement is better.
    You're right, I do think I know enough about his character. That quotation appeared in an interview with Playboy where he also called natives selfish for trying to resist US territorial expansion, "our so-called stealing of this country". This is a guy who has not come to terms with his heritage. What more is there to know? There's his "never apologize, it's a sign of weakness". The hubris that passes for masculinity.

But "private" character is less important than social impact, and I'm not the first to say that the portrayals of Indians in his Hollywood westerns promote two caricatures--lawless savage or uncle tom. They do not depict actual characters with legitimate interests, with the moral complexity you're ready to give Wayne. It's some years since those movies, but the government's relationship to tribal nations is still far from good, and most Americans still think of Indians (if they do) as a vanished people who wore bones and feathers and who certainly don't have anything at stake in the American project today. They'll still name their kids Dakota though.

Now, even if that's not his fault per se, it's easy, satisfying, simple, to separate the person from the work, aesthetics from politics, the good from the bad--to be selective about meaning--when you're not in the demographic threatened by the political dynamics. If people here don't acknowledge those dynamics, there's no point in saying more. But I have no desire to try to redeem the private or creative life of someone whose public persona stood for even a minimal amount of whitewashed reactionary bullshit. It's navel-gazing. If someone's going to decide when images of Indians stop being offensive and harmful, it ought to be indigenous people today, not me, and there are plenty who do still see these images in that way. In the meantime I think the work just needs to be forgotten. That's my actual judgement.

I got an idea! How about you just don't watch John Wayne movies? Problem solved for you. The rest of will remain free to do so, if that's okay.

Tesla is a compelling character. David Bowie did an excellent job with him in The Prestige, a highly-underappreciated film.
    Both well-written and entertaining with great performances from all of the actors.

I recently watched "Synecdoche, New York." It may be one of the best movies I've ever seen.

It's one of the few movies that actually made me feel the emotions of the characters.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Guillermo del Toro gets acclaim for Pan’s Labyrinth, and rightly so, but his earlier film Cronos from 1993 is my favorite. After Let the Right One In, it’s probably the most original take on the vampire mythos put to film. And you get all of del Toro’s beautiful character designs.
    Watched it. Absolutely beautiful movie. The man is a genius with characters.

Don't get to the cinemas too often these days, but I'm booked in for an old-fashioned 'double feature' on Monday night. Joker into Terminator: Dark Fate. Looking forward to it! Reviews on Tuesday. Anyone here seen either?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reid View Post
    Don't get to the cinemas too often these days, but I'm booked in for an old-fashioned 'double feature' on Monday night. Joker into Terminator: Dark Fate. Looking forward to it! Reviews on Tuesday. Anyone here seen either?
    JOKER was fine. Joaquin Phoenix was excellent as usual and carries a really under-developed script. I can't help but think it would've been better had it been directed by literally anyone other than Todd Phillips.

starting strength coach development program
    I just watched Dolemite Is My Name on Netflix--blown away by how good it was. Eddie Murphy proves again he can be a powerhouse actor given good material to work with. Entire cast was stellar. A biography of Rudy Ray Moore that at times, had me laughing out loud and gives some perspective and background of the 1970s Blaxplotation movies he was involved in. Made me want to go watch the original Dolemite again...

Also saw Terminator: Dark Fate last night. I enjoyed it as a popcorn action movie; nothing really new or original--but I disagree with the latest round of critics and toxic fanboys calling it a total piece of shit. I did think Arnold's performance was very good.