starting strength gym
Page 228 of 301 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 3002

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Speaking of Cold War films, the newly released Superman: Red Son is excellent, in spite of the fact that its an animated film. I remember reading the comic book when it first came out 20 some years ago in college and thinking that it was the end of comics. Turned out it was (for me anyway) as I haven't read any since. Its the most subversive comic ever written, period. I know Rip is a big fan of the Watchman; Red Son one ups that in terms of turning comic book tropes inside out.

The premise is thus: Superman lands on a farm in soviet Russia instead of a farm in Kansas. Extrapolate from there. The premise alone is subversive genius (as an aside, Iosef Jugashvili's nom de guerre of Joseph Stalin was chosen because Stalin means "(made) of steel" in Russian. Stalin was the original "man of steel"--Superman was given the same moniker as an act of counter-propaganda by the writers at DC comics), but the plot does just as much to deliver.

You can watch the trailer here: YouTube. The film, like the comic its based on, is outstanding. Top 3 best animated movies ever made. A live action film would be even better, but for obvious reasons, that one will probably never get made.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Watched 4 films lately:

1. Nocturnal Animals
    Horribly boring and pointless. Starts out really really well and then absolutely nothing happens. As a book it might be better though.

2. Jumanji - The Next Level
    Fun movie but the first one was better.

3. L.A. Confidential
    What an awesome and clever movie! Absolutely loved it.

4. American Psycho
    Already watched it several times but will always watch it again. One of the best.
    LA Confidential is one of the best movies of the 1990s. Feels kinda like it’s been lost to a lot of people. My girlfriend and I watched it (I’d seen it multiple times) and she thought it was older than 1997, because she’d never heard of it.

There are always a slew of movies every decade that try to do a dark, hard boiled detective film noir story. Very, very few pull it off. Even fewer pull it off like LA Confidential.

Quote Originally Posted by hill.1338@osu.edu View Post
    LA Confidential is one of the best movies of the 1990s. Feels kinda like it’s been lost to a lot of people. My girlfriend and I watched it (I’d seen it multiple times) and she thought it was older than 1997, because she’d never heard of it.

There are always a slew of movies every decade that try to do a dark, hard boiled detective film noir story. Very, very few pull it off. Even fewer pull it off like LA Confidential.
    There were so many good actors and good acting pulled off in that movie, it's hard to name just one of them. Raymond Chandler must have felt a tremor. But then Mulholland Falls was almost as good in that genre. Both of them featured the legendary LAPD Hat Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    There were so many good actors and good acting pulled off in that movie, it's hard to name just one of them. Raymond Chandler must have felt a tremor. But then Mulholland Falls was almost as good in that genre. Both of them featured the legendary LAPD Hat Squad.
    I doubt Raymond Chandler would feel anything but contempt. Ellroy is a derivative hack and a genuine piece of shit as an individual, unlike Raymond Chandler. I used to see Ellroy at readings around town quite a bit and dude is an unapologetic asshole. Not like the curmudgeonly loveable asshole that Rip is--like dude is a legit fuckboy. At one reading in Santa Monica in the late 90s during a Q&A, he called on a 13 year old fan of his by addressing her as "Ms. Chubbs". He also brought a photographer along to be his own personal paparazzi as he made his entrance just so he could publically yell at and chastise the guy for snapping too many photos. It wasn't an act. He is most certainly his mother's son and its a crying shame he hasn't shared her same fate.

Meeting him in person totally ruined the movie for me. The racism, violent sexism, and jack-booted thuggery isn't period authenticity in Ellroy's world--its his fantasy version of the how the world should be. No surprise that that was his only success in Hollywood, really. None of his books would get made into movies today.

Sicario is another great film, like The Counselor, that is good the first time. But it is brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sicario is another great film, like The Counselor, that is good the first time. But it is brutal.
    Is the [I]Sicario[I] sequel any good? I really liked the first one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    Is the [I]Sicario[I] sequel any good? I really liked the first one as well.
    Nowhere near as good as the first one. It is worth watching however.

Sicario is fantastic. Some stunning and generous aerial shots.

Denis Villeneuve's "Arrival" also had a great shot, early on in the film as the helicopter is making its way to the base, and you see the clouds rolling over the mountains.

The Foreigner with Jackie Chan is very good, about the resurgence of the IRA, a very interesting situation. I'll watch it again.
    Yo, this movie just blew me away. Totally worth watching again. I've been on a HK cinema kick lately and this one popped up on Chan's filmography. The nuance in this film is incredible. Its based on a British novel called The Chinamen but of course they had to rename it "the Foreigner" because of PC whatever-the-fuck. Here's what's really interesting: the character Chan plays is a Chinese guy of Vietnamese ethnicity. This minority is called Nung in China. They were emphatically pro-American during the Vietnam war and had the reputation of being the most feared fighters of all of the minority groups trained by US special forces.

In addition to making the whole Taken leitmotif of the movie much more plausible, its remarkable that this much character detail came from a British writer because wtf do they know about Vietnam? On top of that, the circumstances that Chan's character go through before arriving in London actually happened. From the wikipedia article on Vietnamese Boat People:

"A typical story of the hazards faced by the boat people was told in 1982 by a man named Le Phuoc. He left Vietnam with 17 other people in a boat 23 feet (7.0 m) long to attempt the 300-mile (480 km) passage across the Gulf of Thailand to southern Thailand or Malaysia. Their two outboard motors soon failed and they drifted without power and ran out of food and water. Thai pirates boarded their boat three times during their 17-day voyage, raped the four women on board and killed one, stole all the possessions of the refugees, and abducted one man who was never found. When their boat sank, they were rescued by a Thai fishing boat and ended up in a refugee camp on the coast of Thailand.[19] Another of many stories tell of a boat carrying 75 refugees which were sunk by pirates with one person surviving.[20]"

What blows my mind is how the fuck a night news editor at the business desk from The Times of London wrote such a nuanced novel full of details that the average American, much less a Brit, has any business knowing. Also worth noting is the fact that, surprise, Jackie Chan can legit act! This should actually come as no surprise, considering he's a product of the Peking Opera School and not a trained martial artist, but most people in the west probably don't know that. I'd like to see him make more movies like this.

starting strength coach development program
    Every time I watch Blade Runner (The Final Cut - don't bother with the other releases), I am more impressed with this movie. Roy Blatty's death at the end is perhaps one of the top 5 scenes in film history. And the whole goddamn thing is amazing.