starting strength gym
Page 233 of 301 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A couple of WWII era resistance movies on Prime.

Waiting for Anya - Story of a French shepherd family who helped smuggle Jewish children from France to Spain.

A Hidden Life - about an Austrian farmer who refused to swear an oath of allegiance to Hitler.

I have watched with my 15yo son...

First Blood - Thumbs up
    Predator - Thumbs up
    Gladiator - Thumbs up
    Total Recall (1990) - Thumbs down (I feel like a failure)

Next up...Lethal Weapon 1 & 2, and Die Hard 1

Just watched 1917. May the gods help our nation now. We haven't got a tenth of the balls we had 100 years ago, and we may need them very soon.

Watched "The Lighthouse" a couple of nights ago. What the heck. Even harder to follow the boundary between reality and illusion than Inception. More disturbing than Annihilation. Sinister echoes of Waiting for Godot?

Didn't appreciate it. Not insightful. Not real. Not inspiring. Not interesting.

Watching Enemy of the State. Inspired by the state of Tennessee.

This weekend on Prime - The Last Full Measure. A decent movie, a great story and an incredible man - 21 yo USAF Pararescueman William Pitsenbarger. Keep the credits rolling for comments from vets of the battle.

His MOH Citation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just watched 1917. May the gods help our nation now. We haven't got a tenth of the balls we had 100 years ago, and we may need them very soon.
    They don't want us to. The "powers that be". They want us weak, domesticated, compliant. So they bang away at anyone with spirit and balls. Compliance is heavily rewarded and they have an entire system set up to maintain those weaklings who comply. Over the generations this has had a deleterious effect and I can't get my head around how we change that but I know that if we want to survive long term we need to. We need the wolves, the undomesticated, the non-compliant. We need parallel systems that reward that and bypass the government systems that punish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    They don't want us to. The "powers that be". They want us weak, domesticated, compliant. So they bang away at anyone with spirit and balls. Compliance is heavily rewarded and they have an entire system set up to maintain those weaklings who comply. Over the generations this has had a deleterious effect and I can't get my head around how we change that but I know that if we want to survive long term we need to. We need the wolves, the undomesticated, the non-compliant. We need parallel systems that reward that and bypass the government systems that punish it.
    Some perspective here on our national population's dedication and experience. It's estimated only 30% or so (at most) really fought and supported the American Revolution. The rest were divided between Royalists and the apathetic who were content to watch the war and await it's outcome. I might add that there were skirmish insurgencies between American factions in places like NJ, NY, and other soon to be states.

So this is not new with us, and I suspect every other nation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    It's estimated only 30% or so (at most) really fought and supported the American Revolution.
    That's the number I've been using to describe the present situation: 30% of us vs the Government and the farm animals like TD. Can we do it again? I don't know. The Founders didn't have to defeat the internet and the MSM too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Some perspective here on our national population's dedication and experience. It's estimated only 30% or so (at most) really fought and supported the American Revolution. The rest were divided between Royalists and the apathetic who were content to watch the war and await it's outcome. I might add that there were skirmish insurgencies between American factions in places like NJ, NY, and other soon to be states.

So this is not new with us, and I suspect every other nation as well.
    That's considerably more depressing than I thought. But, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I have to say it feels like it's worse. It feels like people weren't as pussified when I was younger. But that's not evidence, just perspective and could absolutely be wrong.