starting strength gym
Page 234 of 301 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 3009

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My fault for the classic Hurling derail. Back to the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My fault for the classic Hurling derail. Back to the movies.
    Sorry. I'll refrain from doing that again.

You just did it again. Back to the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You just did it again. Back to the movies.
    Watched Cool Hand Luke again. One of my all time favorite movies.

Gonna' throw Quigley Down Under into the VCR (yes VCR). Can watch that one over and over.

sb

I'm on an 80's action movie kick for whatever reason. Die Hard, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Terminator, Mad Max and I guess tonight it's gonna be They Live just for shits and giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I finally (!) caught "Roadhouse" from the beginning and decided to suck it up and try to watch it despite all the reports of it's suckiousity.

FWIW, the first 45 minutes of character development of Patrick Swayze was pretty good.

Sadly, they decided to lapse into some real BS with him doing sweaty Tai Chi along the lake and talk about his college degree in philosophy in the ER with the hot female doc.

The estrogen/soy ratio began to overwhelm it thereafter. Despite the insertion of Sam Elliott.

I changed it to watch Rio Bravo with John Wayne doing his clunky flirtations with Angie Dickinson. Not exactly great cinema, but at least an improvement over the latter.
    Rio Bravo is tough to beat, just saw it this weekend for the first time in a long time. From their onscreen interaction, it looks like Walter Brennan, Dean Martin and John Wayne had almost as much fun making the movie and I did watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    I'm on an 80's action movie kick for whatever reason. Die Hard, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Terminator, Mad Max and I guess tonight it's gonna be They Live just for shits and giggles.
    Watched Die Hard just the other day, and need to show They Live to the wife and boy.

sb

I've been rewatching the Tarantino movies and I'm convinced he's easily one of the top three directors of the last thirty years.

Scorsese is fine but his dialogue can be boring and he revisits the same tropes over and over. I'm torn between thinking the Irishman was good and saying, "It should've never existed". Pesci was the only decent part in that movie.

Spielberg, he's alright. He definitely has some heavy hitters, but he's also got some waste too. In general I think his movies are overrated.

Woody Allen has basically made the same movie twenty times. They're about some tweedy guy in an existential crisis attached to a familiar love story. Boring.

But Tarantino, he's the man. All of his films have been a different type of story. His characters are refreshing in the bland Hollywood scene he competes. And every film has some seriously good "You didn't see that coming" moments. Plus, the worlds he creates are real and nuanced in a way that imitates real life. People have dialogues in the background, music stops playing mid-conversation, and the non-players in the film realistically react to the world around them. It's too tough to pick a favorite Tarantino flick, they're all just so damn good. If anything, Jackie Brown is my least favorite....but that's the last one due for the current rewatch.

His use of Harvey Keitel is a good choice. A great movie with Harvey Keitel( not a Tarantino flick) is
    The Bad Lieutenant.

starting strength coach development program
    I can't think of anything Keitel has been less than great in. He, Viggo Mortensen, and Sam Elliott are among my favorites.