starting strength gym
Page 237 of 301 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 3002

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    While not a movie, the documentary “Happy People” is an excellent watch. It's about a remote Russian village with the lives of the trappers being the focus. Broken down into the four seasons, on YouTube you can watch it in Russian with English subtitles or a condensed English version by Werner Herzog “Happy People: A Year in the Taiga“ is available on DVD
    YouTube
    Thanks for the tip! I watched the English version a few years ago and loved it. I had no idea there was more.
    I'll watch the 4 part version this week.

I'm going through a phase of catching up with classic it revered movies that I haven't seen.

Watched Vertigo last night and the scene where James Stewart days he will stand on a stool and gradually increase the height to overcome his Vertigo made me wonder if Rip was inspired by this scene. A great bait and switch and poet ending.

Vertigo and Kim Novak, or the Polack as Louis Mayer referred to her. Some of the vivid dreams of my emerging puberty. Woof!

Quote Originally Posted by S.Eriksson View Post
    Sad, but true. I've been listening to a podcast on Norse mythology and it's becoming increasingly clear that Thor is not a 5'11", 183 lb guy with abzzz. I'm sure there is some Scandinavian actor out there who looks the part and could've carried the role sufficiently. Any thoughts on the DC characters? I've noticed more character-turnover there than in the Marvel movies.
    Just reading through the thread and found this. If you're still active here Me Eriksson you realise Hemsworth is 6'3" and was 220 in Thor?

Quote Originally Posted by Roobo View Post
    Just reading through the thread and found this. If you're still active here Me Eriksson you realise Hemsworth is 6'3" and was 220 in Thor?
    I find this difficult to believe.

Watched Gladiator *again*, as it was finally added to the Netflix catalogue. I assume it was added after some backlash from subscribers about not being able to see it following the recent 20th anniversary publicity. This is where Rip's love of DVD's will continue to pay off. I have a great copy of Gladiator on DVD, but unfortunately I'm not currently the owner of an operational DVD player! So when I finally saw it pop up on my list of recommended movies, it was a no-brainer, and despite the many times I've watched it before I had no hesitation committing two and half hours of my time to view it again. It really is a masterful piece of film making. It's peak Russell Crowe, he was on quite a roll at the time, winning the Oscar for best actor, and being nominated on either side of Gladiator for both The Insider and A Beautiful Mind.

Still to this day 20 years later, I simply cannot understand how Hans Zimmer's epic score did not win at the Oscars, it is truly a masterpiece. That having been said, I must admit I've never listened to the score for that years winner. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, so I perhaps shouldn't dismiss it entirely.

The movie is notorious for the many quotable scenes that have become popular and continue to be today; 'Strength and Honour', 'Are you not entertained?', 'What we do in life echoes in eternity', plus too many others to mention here, and of course the classic scene where Crowe's Maximus comes face to face to with Joaquin Phoenix's Commodus, the young emperor, in the middle of the Colosseum; "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

Watch it if you've not yet seen it, you shall not be disappointed.

Strength and Honour!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I find this difficult to believe.
    Which part? I mean it's weekly acknowledged that 'supplements' were used and obviously these shirtless pictures are captured in perfect conditions. 200 is probably closer to the truth but at that height who knows.

It is tough to know what is real and what is Hollywood real.

Where did you get the 6'3" 220 info?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Where did you get the 6'3" 220 info?
    The Devil's window AKA Google.

6'3 is reported on multiple websites and you just have to see him stood next to other people to see he is pretty tall, certainly not 5'11". They've picked him to play Hulk Hogan so I guess when we hear how much he weighs in that we can compare.

starting strength coach development program
    Hulk Hogan lied about both his height and weight.