starting strength gym
Page 247 of 301 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249257297 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,470 of 3002

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't know if we're doing documentaries on this thread. But in case we are, I'm recommending this one:

Free to Choose

It's a layperson's introduction to economics by Milton Friedman. I bought this years ago and loaned it to a friend who (despite multiple requests) only returned it recently. I watched it again and although it was aired by PBS of all stations and was created by them I believe in 1980, it still shows its brilliance and is sorely needed today.

Each episode begins with his take on a particular aspect of economics from his libertarian perspective. He has episodes on the power of capitalism, labor markets, the pitfalls of the welfare state, education, etc. (each around 45 min). What's perhaps the MOST fascinating part of the series is that after after each episode, he participates in a moderated roundtable discussion with experts he either agrees with or more often doesn't (the usual libs of the day as well as some conservatives including a young Thomas Sowell for example). The discussions are another 15 minutes or so. It's amazing how brilliant the man is and how articulate, persuasive, and patient he can be even with some strident, illogical debate opponents.

It's a lengthy, meaty 10 part series. If you buy it on Amazon, be VERY careful which version you get because I see some very cheap (around $15) editions that I suspect are just excerpts. You want the full series. The one I linked to on Amazon appears to be the same edition I have.

Friedman was awarded the Nobel Prize for econ during my first year as an undergraduate at University of Chicago. It's one of my biggest regrets that I never took a course with him. Unfortunately for me, I had no interest in economics at the time.

The series is well worth the time! Personally, I believe that every member of Congress should watch it. I'd also say our President and Vice President elect should as well but I seriously doubt either has the brain power to follow it. Now that I think about it, nor does most of Congress.

It's not "A Movie."

At the risk of sounding like a doofus, anyone here watch School of Rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a doofus, anyone here watch School of Rock?
    I did. Jack Black was hilarious. I guess I'm just getting to be an old softie, but the story was cute too.

It's so good man! It's a great movie for people of all ages. And the story is cute. It's great! When I was in middle school, I'd go home from school and watch it on DVD every freakin' day. I've probably seen the movie at least 150 times.

Here's a fun couple of evenings: Watch Kurasawa's The Seven Samurai, and then follow it with The Magnificent Seven. And then watch The 13th Warrior. This will either make you feel better, or much worse.

For me, that was a mistake. I liked The Magnificent Seven until after the missus as a show of love, watched The Seven Samurai with me. The following Friday night, to help her understand the plot, we watched MS and I haven't enjoyed it since.

Ah, the 13th Warrior. It's almost as good as The Wind and the Lion, with Connery as the Raisuli, Brian Keith as TR, and that crazy ass Marine captain. Except in The 13th Warrior you get vikings, Beowulf, Grendel, and Antonio Banderas in my favorite role for him. Based on Crichton's Eaters of the Dead, also a great read.

Ghost in the Shell (2017) is a damn good movie. Johansson chooses this things very well, and she has amassed a very entertaining body of work over the past 15 years.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Ah, the 13th Warrior. It's almost as good as The Wind and the Lion, with Connery as the Raisuli, Brian Keith as TR, and that crazy ass Marine captain. Except in The 13th Warrior you get vikings, Beowulf, Grendel, and Antonio Banderas in my favorite role for him. Based on Crichton's Eaters of the Dead, also a great read.
    Agreed. I loved it! There were moments in that movie that gave me chills like Ibn's pre-battle prayer. The dry Viking humor is awesome too, "The way we'll know is: if they don't follow us it's too far to swim!" lol