starting strength gym
Page 250 of 301 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260300 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Could be my Nolan-bias showing. It's fairly indiscriminate, he has his weaknesses. But I can almost watch Interstellar on a loop.
    I think this is a case of personal taste. I just read the wiki page's description of the plot and it did not inspire me to revisit Tenet. Not recognizing the director's name, I went to his page. While it turns out, I've watch several of his movies, none of them entertained me enough to watch them a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Interstellar is just so goddamn gorgeous. His visuals are way more beautiful and profound than his writing.
    I think Siskel and Ebert said long ago that they first evaluated movies frame by frame. Somehow they’d flip through the frames manually, perhaps without sound, to isolate the image dynamics - the “moving picture aspect”. ( I remember this as one of their offhand comments ). Nolan scores very high there.

I have been revisiting a lot of movies I recall as being good, but have not seen in a while.

1. The Shootist, with John Wayne. It was much better than I recall. I found myself watching for character indicators I may have not paid attention to in the past. Well done, slow paced movie.
    2. True Romance, I mentioned this before and it received no comment. If you have not seen this movie written by Tarantino and directed by Tony Scott about comic book geek Christian Slater, hooker with a heart of gold Patrician Arquette, mob boss Christopher Walken, and perhaps James Gandolfini’s most brutal performance as his henchman, you are missing out. Included in the cast is, Gary Oldman as the pimp, Dennis Hopper as fearless washed-up Dad/Cop, Brad Pitt as stoned friend and Val Kilmer as the ghost of Elvis.
    3. Glengarry Glen Ross. I haven’t seen it in a long while. It has turned into such an odd little clip punch line on you tube with the “Coffee is for closers” moments it’s easy to forget what powerful and desperate performances are delivered nearly flawlessly in what is basically a play performed for the big screen. Please consider watching it again.
    4. The Searchers is next.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Musser View Post
    I have been revisiting a lot of movies I recall as being good, but have not seen in a while.

1. The Shootist, with John Wayne. It was much better than I recall. I found myself watching for character indicators I may have not paid attention to in the past. Well done, slow paced movie.
    2. True Romance, I mentioned this before and it received no comment. If you have not seen this movie written by Tarantino and directed by Tony Scott about comic book geek Christian Slater, hooker with a heart of gold Patrician Arquette, mob boss Christopher Walken, and perhaps James Gandolfini’s most brutal performance as his henchman, you are missing out. Included in the cast is, Gary Oldman as the pimp, Dennis Hopper as fearless washed-up Dad/Cop, Brad Pitt as stoned friend and Val Kilmer as the ghost of Elvis.
    3. Glengarry Glen Ross. I haven’t seen it in a long while. It has turned into such an odd little clip punch line on you tube with the “Coffee is for closers” moments it’s easy to forget what powerful and desperate performances are delivered nearly flawlessly in what is basically a play performed for the big screen. Please consider watching it again.
    4. The Searchers is next.
    I watched True Romance when you mentioned it and enjoyed it. A nice expression of the human spirit that used to exist in a world before mask mandates and lockdowns. Will give Glengary Glenross a watch soon

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Will give Glengary Glenross a watch soon
    Just ordered it, along with The Searchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The Searchers.
    My favorite John Wayne movie, followed by The Shootist and Hondo.

I've got to watch that. I read Lonesome Dove and a couple of Louis L'Amour westerns a few years ago, and I bought myself a single action revolver pretty much immediately after.

P.S. The Tour is my favorite article on this site. I read it often.

Everyone, do yourself a favor and skip Coming 2 America. Instead, just watch the original.

You're welcome.

After seeing mentions of the Foreigner earlier in this thread, I'd like to recommend Jackie Chan's Police Story (1985).
    From the moment Jackie gets creative and boards a moving bus, you'll be watching most of the movie with a dropped jaw, once you realize there's no special effects, no tricks.
    The ending is the most cinematic stunt ever performed and the triple replay from different angles does not come across narcissistic at all.

Directed by Jackie Chan, starring Jackie Chan, soundtrack sung by Jackie Chan. Do not skip the credits.

It's sad that many in the West are only familiar with his Hollywood work (Rumble in the Bronx, Shanghai Noon, Rush Hour).
    For anyone that needs an introduction to Classic JC, here's one of his greatest stunts, from Project A (spoilers):

What an incredible cast.
    My 2nd favorite Tarantino film, after Pulp Fiction. He's a great writer and a very overrated director. Too many of his stories interrupted by random gore (Hateful Eight?)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Everyone, do yourself a favor and skip Coming 2 America.
    I wasn't planning on it, with the "Social Conscientious" of today, humor is not allowed.