starting strength gym
Page 253 of 301 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 3002

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm not even a fan of Nolan, as I feel his movies are far overrated with somewhat threadbare plots over time if you take the time to watch; and I'm sick of comic book movies altogether. But his Dark Knight trilogy was both far better than anything else coming out of DC; Man of Steel made Clark too introverted and he was too whiny and spent too much time feeling sorry for himself. BvS was a joke with a stupid script and forced storyline, and neither was any better than the Whedon JL. I don't see myself wasting 4 hours on Snyder JL even if I got to watch it free.

Begin Again is, in my opinion, a great movie. Mark Ruffalo, Keira Knightley, and Adam Levine. A great movie about starting over, reconciliation, and good music. Highly recommend.

I just watched Anthony Hopkins in The Father. Such a hard movie to watch. He has always been an amazing actor in everything but I think this might be his best work yet. Got to process this one. Wow.
    Anyone else seen it?

Yes, correct. I voluntarily rewatched the Dceu... The wheedon release is one of the worst movies ever made. Not necessarily wheedons fault. But the studio execs screwed the pooch.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Didn't the studio basically hire Whedon to try and "Marvel-ize" it by adding a bunch of pithy one-liners and frat-boy quips? DC is just a mess at the studio executive level it seems.
    Synder committed an unforgivable sin... Jonathan Kent suggested Clark should have let the kids in the bus (in MoS) die. Jonathan would have NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER made that suggestion. Ever. For me, it cancels everything that is good about the movies and character. Snyders superman broods, murders, and isn't very excited to actually BE Superman.

To tell a good superman story, you need to take your time, and God forbid rely less on CGI fights, and more on character and nuance in the acting. DC/WB execs don't have this ability when it comes to These heroes in this world.

There are very good superman stories out there, but as someone elsewhere pointed out, they are cartoons. If you don't like cartoons, you're stuck with the superman garbage on the big screen.

One alternative is Superman and Lois on CW. So far, so good. But just waiting for the PC police to ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Superman is a far more complicated character than most people give him credit for. Not to spoil the flick, but the key scene is him remembering his fathers words and what he does after that. That is the culmination of the intent behind the character.

Also, Batman as St. Paul was the needed antidote to 20 years of a character that has become less than one note. Too bad, WB thinks that one note is good enough.

Hot Tub Time Machine is pretty damn funny

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Yes, correct. I voluntarily rewatched the Dceu... The wheedon release is one of the worst movies ever made. Not necessarily wheedons fault. But the studio execs screwed the pooch...

Synder committed an unforgivable sin... Jonathan Kent suggested Clark should have let the kids in the bus (in MoS) die. Jonathan would have NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER made that suggestion. Ever. For me, it cancels everything that is good about the movies and character. Snyders superman broods, murders, and isn't very excited to actually BE Superman.

To tell a good superman story, you need to take your time, and God forbid rely less on CGI fights, and more on character and nuance in the acting. DC/WB execs don't have this ability when it comes to These heroes in this world.

There are very good superman stories out there, but as someone elsewhere pointed out, they are cartoons. If you don't like cartoons, you're stuck with the superman garbage on the big screen.

One alternative is Superman and Lois on CW. So far, so good. But just waiting for the PC police to ruin it.
    But they're not just cartoons; that's the thing and assuming so is why people get them wrong. Here's a secret, guys; Superman is a composite of both Moses and Jesus. I'm sorry to break this to you. There's nothing really original to this story and Snyder really leans on this theme heavily. (A friend of mine pointed out that Snyder's play was to contrast the bible against Ayn Rand, and thankfully the bible wins. Thank about that for a second.) The interplay between Jonathan Kent's and Jor-El's influences are completely analogous to Jesus's dual nature, both son of man and Son of God. St. Joseph's role was to protect the child Jesus, as was Jonathan Kent's role in Man of Steel. Martha is Mary. We know who Jor-El is. Hell, we know who Zod is, too. The scene in the church is Gethsemane. I mean, if you don't dig the source material, then OK, but don't make like it doesn't exist.

People are really hung up on Donner's Superman and that's understandable given how culturally significant that film was, particularly for the movie industry. It is beat perfect up until Clark Kent comes to Metropolis, then it falls apart. But there's been a lot of Superman stories since then, a lot good, some bad. But nothing Goyer and Snyder and Nolan did was anything different than what Tom Mankiewicz did in 1978 when he re-worked Mario Puzo's script.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of the history, up until John Byrne, Jor-El had very little influence upon Superman. Jonathan Kent, a man of his own era, was his formative motivator. Many times when Jor-El was invoked pre-Byrne, it was not in a favorable light. Look to what the WB/CW did with Smallville; that Jonathan Kent died protecting Clark from the influence of his birth father, who was not a great character in the least. Again, no one gave a shit about that, did they? (Personally, I'm a fan of Smallville, particularly the canon episodes and those very early on in the show's run. With dwindling budgets and outright antagonism by hostile executives at the network, it lost a lot of that initial promise by the end. Hamfisted into tights is all I can say.)

Snyder's original intention was something like 5-7 movies to tell the whole "becoming Superman" story. So there was a plan, at least on the director's part, to take the time needed. Superman was to sacrifice himself, not in Batman v. Superman, but later on in the first Justice League movie. His return and redemption was to be pivotal to the plot of the Darkseid invasion, culminating in his emergence as the Superman we generally expect in the last Justice League film and in the eventual sequel to Man of Steel. The Snyder Cut gave us this redemption, thankfully, albeit truncated. Sadly, I don't think we're getting a sequel to Man of Steel which is damned shame.

It's my understanding that David Goyer and Christopher Nolan's question was, "how does Superman emerge in the early 21st century, not the early 20th century?" The landscapes of the United States between 1939 and 2013 are vastly different, in some ways unrecognizable. The motivations of parents, if we're going to touch on Jonathan Kent, are different. To say that Superman as we've come to know him emerged, whole cloth as he did 80 years ago, without any self-doubt or period of self-reflection about his own worth or purpose into a world he could effectively destroy it in a day is frankly not believable and makes the character a caricature. WB made a movie about that character: "Shazam."

Shit, it took Marvel 22 movies to kill Thanos. Captain America himself was fleshed out in three solo movies and three Avengers movies. No one gave a shit about how pissy and whiney he was for Peggy Carter since he was pulled out of the ice. If you want to get into DC/WB fucking up a character, let's talk about Nolan's Batman. Those movies are shitty Batman movies. Besides the character names and the costumes, there's nothing in there that's related to the character in the least. You rename everyone in those movies, take away the cape and cowl, and the movies still work. Why bother even calling it "Batman?" Again, no one gave a shit that his entire motivation in that whole trilogy was the fucking maid's daughter, and not the pathological obsession over the murder of his parents. I don't understand this; you give a living god a little bit of human self-doubt and you've somehow fucked up the entire character. But if you give another incredibly broken and psychologically damaged character a chance to get some strange and a holiday in Venice, it's praiseworthy. Where's the goddamned consistency?

There's a fair amount of valid criticisms to be leveled against Snyder's flicks. I think the introduction of Doomsday in BvS, instead of Metallo as the antagonist, was a miss, but that was the studio's interference and Nolan not being involved to shield Snyder from the executives as he did during MoS. I think being so character literal in terms of physical depictions and costuming is a little off-putting. I think the themes he was trying to present could have used a little more focus and far more weight. Then again, he did a hell of a lot right. Henry Cavill is a treasure. I'm usually not a fan of ethnic or gender retconning of characters, but Jason Momoa and less so Ezra Miller were/are wonderful. Ben Affleck as Batman.

I've spent a lot of time on these flicks. Perhaps too much. The Marvel flicks were generally one and one for me. They were not complicated, except for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. That's a subversive film with far more hidden history and commentary than anyone really wants to talk about. Note how very few people actually talk about that film. Overall, they didn't require any work and didn't make me think about much. The post-credit scenes were what everyone was waiting for anyway.

Justice League is a poorly edited 4h Cyborg origin story with more than 30minutes of "slowmo to music" scenes with "artistic choices" like not using widescreen. It was okay (and a whole lot better than Whedon's turd), but I would never recommend this to a non-superhero fan.

I would however recommend Pain & Gain to anyone that doesn't feel vicarious embarrassment. It's a true story of 3 bodybuilders (Wahlberg, The Rock, Anthony Mackie) who, inspired by one of those pyramid scheme motivational speakers, plan a kidnapping. The actors did an incredible job making the "all muscle, no brain" stereotypes come to life. It's directed by Michael Bay, but the movie is not typical of his directing style. The big names all took a pay cut to make this thing happen. It's was a labor of love and not Bay's usual blockbuster garbage.

Also check out The Nice Guys. It's a whodunit buddy cop with Russel Dough and Gosling. I'm not a fan of dark comedy, but this one had me laughing all the way. How this film barely broke even with a $50M budget is beyond me. The 91% on Rotten Tomatoes is fully justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    All I want in a movie is facepunching and boobs. One of these is ok to to watch with the kids.
    6 Underground was stupid but totally fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    They were not complicated, except for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. That's a subversive film with far more hidden history and commentary than anyone really wants to talk about. Note how very few people actually talk about that film.
    To me, WS was gold. It is by far the best movie I've seen in a while. But yeah, I noticed it's not discussed much and most of my friends who are into Marvel don't agree with me that it's the best.

Winter Soldier is one of my top 5 movies of all time. Virtually flawless.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Winter Soldier is one of my top 5 movies of all time. Virtually flawless.
    Thank you! Why is it so underappreciated?! Satch is right, I don't see a lot of love for it outside my circle either. It's like the red-headed step child of Marvel.
    That's ok though, I like it when shit I like isn't popular. Makes it easier to get a hold of stuff or tickets or whatever.

I've been on a Robert Ludlum kick lately but I took a break for Tucker and Dale Vs Evil. It was stupid fun but no boobs, for anyone interested in that. Phill, depending on your kids' ages it's potentially appropriate for them. It's got the guy who played in Firefly if anyone still remembers that show. I watched it with my daughter and she loved it.