Page 255 of 301 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Rich View Post
    Obervations regarding the trailer:

1) Favorite line: “These are dangerous times”. True every time the world has faced a life/death struggle between Kong and Godzilla.

2) They should have cast Greta Thunberg as the little girl. Somehow I have to think Global Warming was responsible for this conflagration.

One of my pet peeves with movies like this is the introduction of people. Don’t give two shits about human characters. I came to see giant monsters beat the shit out of each other. Same thing with alien vs predator. You telling me it’s impossible to make a quality movie without humans?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericw View Post
    ... You telling me it’s impossible to make a quality movie without humans?
    I think Rip, Musser, and the other high-brows in this thread would say yes. I guess something about being literate something something.

But I was trying to get at this a little earlier. “Movie” means “moving image”, so it is not unreasonable to propose a first and important assessment on how the imagery flows. This does not require imagery with humans.

Okay, Vince. Watch Used Cars for some relief from the high brows. So fucking funny. Don't miss that a used car salesman wants to be a Senator. Toby is the best dog in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay, Vince. Watch Used Cars for some relief from the high brows. So fucking funny. Don't miss that a used car salesman wants to be a Senator. Toby is the best dog in a movie.
    I’ll dial it up tonight. If my dog lets me.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I’ll dial it up tonight. If my dog lets me.
    Two thumbs up for the moving-imagery.

What a throwback, with so much analog.

It hit the spot with an impressive number of insensitive, many undignified, notes.

This was Carter's time, when 55mph was the law of the land. Then a lesson for the kids in driving history, back (and forward) to the 75 mph limit.

Rabbit's feet, salt, mirror, and ladder.

Do you think Frank McRae's burning BBQ and the "nigga who only drives cadillacs" were self-conscious indictments of systemic racism?

No. I think they were, and are, funny as hell, and that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No. I think they were, and are, funny as hell, and that's all.
    And this simplicity is what’s been lost in the public space.

My wife is watching a show about Montgomery Clift's life and hearing her talk about him reminded me of this scene in Judgment at Nuremberg:

Montgomery Clift Scene, JAN Part 1
    Montgomery Clift Scene, JAN Part 2

This is truly one of the greatest movies ever made. It surely has one of the finest casts ever assembled in one movie and director Stanley Kramer consistently got stunning performances out of every single actor.

For those of you not predisposed to cry during films, you might find yourself surprised watching this one.

West Side Story won the Academy Award for Best Film that year in 1961, a time when The Holocaust was still fresh in people's minds. WSS was a good film but this was one of many years the academy proved how unserious it is. Rent or buy JAN and watch it over and over again. You will pick up some new thing of beauty with every viewing.

You are welcome.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    West Side Story won the Academy Award for Best Film that year in 1961
    Judgement was indeed great. But other than Oklahoma, West Side Story may have been the gayest musical ever filmed.