starting strength gym
Page 264 of 300 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274 ... LastLast
Results 2,631 to 2,640 of 2998

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    I've not made it through a recently created movie in a long time; I've grown sensitive to the "programming". I finally finished one: Nobody (2021).

It's a low-budget, somewhat cheezy knockoff of John Wick meets Red with a cliche plot. This isn't a "film", so the nerds should probably pass. I'd call it a fantasy for us overly-domesticated old men. And, I actually appreciated the "message" in this one.
    I enjoyed the movie. It left me wanting more. Will there be a sequel? It was a little reminiscent of other stuff Bob Odenkirk (Saul of "Better Call Saul") has been in. I'd bet there's cross-pollinating of writers/staff with "Saul" and "Breaking Bad".

Major spoiler: the entire bus fight scene is on Youtube. What you don't see in the Youtube clip is the main character praying out loud for the bus door to be opened so the bad guys can come in. It's momentarily confusing. After the fight progresses, you start to get the idea he likes this kinda' thing.

Watched The Suicide Squad (2021) the other night. Probably the most batshit insane comic book movie ever, and I loved every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Watched The Suicide Squad (2021) the other night. Probably the most batshit insane comic book movie ever, and I loved every minute of it.
    Yeah that thing was great. I'm glad DC finally let someone just make a movie instead of panicking halfway through and re-shooting.

Westerns – One Eyed Jacks

One of my favorite westerns. It’s more of a slower pace, similar to that in Once Upon a Time in America – but not as good of a movie. It’s the only movie Brando ever directed and Brando is still in his prime – right at the end of his prime years. Karl Malden is very good playing opposite Brando. The Criterion version is really cleaned up. I had a very shitty DVD version of the movie and I still thought it was good. The Criterion version makes the cinematography look great. The Arrow Video version that I have has a great commentary track – not sure if that’s in the Criterion release.

One-Eyed Jacks (1961) | The Criterion Collection

Anyone else seen Hotel Mumbai? A dramatisation of the hostage crisis from Mumbai in 2009. Recommended

Has anyone seen Malignant? New James Wan horror flick on Netflix I believe. Thinking of checking it out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Has anyone seen Malignant? New James Wan horror flick on Netflix I believe. Thinking of checking it out this weekend.
    It's on HBO MAX. It's either a brilliant troll job or a complete piece of shit. I think it's the former, James Wan seems like a smart guy. It's hilarious.

If you haven’t watched it, take the time to watch Owning Mahoney. In my opinion, it is Philip Seymour Hoffman’s best work. It’s the true story of a Canadian banker who stole money from his bank to feed an insatiable gambling habit. It’s the best depiction of addiction I’ve ever seen (portrayed by a real-life addict not coincidentally). You can stream it free online. Great performances by Minnie Driver and John Hurt as well. It’s a 10/10.

I watched the amazing V For Vendetta again, first time in years. Makes the hair on your arms stand up in several places with its prescient timeliness. Watch it, you'll be shocked at how well a 2005 movie -- labeled "dystopian" at the time -- so thoroughly nails 2021.

The laughable Wikipedia page says: "The film is set in an alternative future where a Nordic supremacist and neo-fascist totalitarian regime has subjugated the United Kingdom." Not even remotely accurate. Wikipedia is useful for lots of things, but anything that can be construed as political is under the thumb of the Left.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I watched the amazing V For Vendetta again, first time in years. Makes the hair on your arms stand up in several places with its prescient timeliness. Watch it, you'll be shocked at how well a 2005 movie -- labeled "dystopian" at the time -- so thoroughly nails 2021.
    I watched it for the first time in a while during 2020 at the beginning of this whole debacle and you’re right, the hair on my arm was standing up. It was before any vaccines were even rolled out but you knew what was coming. I seriously sat down with my fiancée on the deck outside for an hour
    afterwards and wondered what the hell we were going to do.