starting strength gym
Page 269 of 301 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 3009

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Anybody want to share their action movie recommendations? I feel like I've watched them all and I know that can't be the case. I just don't know what I don't know.
    Check out the Christian Bale, low-budget film, Equilibrium. Gun kata!

Dredd (2012) is severely underrated.

I caught the remake of Midway on TV this weekend. Looked to be better than the original IMO, with some spectacular coverage of the violence of the attack on Pearl Harbor and a much deeper dive into how the intel was sifted out of the Japanese SIGINT by the cryptanalysts in Hawaii. Also some of the tensions between conflicting orders coming from DC and Nimitz in the Pacific.

The gaping faces of the naval aviators at Doolittle's bombers on the Hornet were priceless as they began the lineup for their raid on Tokyo. Then there was the scene where Doolittle took off during high seas and flew through the spray of a huge bow wave so big that neither he nor the deck crew could tell if he had swamped and gone into the drink. Artistic license perhaps, but heart stopping.

The original kind of glossed over the toll taken on the US aviators during their runs on the Japanese fleet. Not this version. US planes were being shot down in flames and fragments all over the screen as the dive bombers came screaming down at the carriers. Very heavy casualties.

Some other small details about how the Japanese fleet was located by the squadrons that I don't think are commonly known in most accounts of the battle.

Well worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Edge of tomorrow is really fun.

MI Fallout is an awesome movie. Really, except for MI2, they are all good, fun and highly entertaining.
    MI2 is so incredibly bad for some reason. I'm surprised they let them make more after that one.

I'd imagine mi2 didn't do poorly at the box office. It was directed by Jon Woo I think who was making these types of movies (slo mo, crazy action shots, etc but a thin story). I'd guess it was good at the time, just does NOT hold up at all, compared to any of the other MIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    MI2 is so incredibly bad for some reason. I'm surprised they let them make more after that one.

Watched The Forgotten Battle last night. It follows characters through The Battle of the Scheldt in the Netherlands. It mixes up Nazis losing their grip on power, underground resistance, and British Glider pilots. It was a pretty good modern war movie.

Quote Originally Posted by gallon_of_cheese_a_day View Post
    Dredd (2012) is severely underrated.
    A movie I could watch every day for a month.

When I was still on the meat market that masquerades as the dating market this and Predator was my go to movie to watch when I brought chicks around.

One of the (many) reasons I think it's so good is that it's the perfect video game movie without actually being based off a video game. I think it'd translate perfectly to a video game. The whole movie is perfect, I can't think of anything that I don't like about it. I want a sequel so badly but I'm terrified of how bad it'll be if it gets made. Karl Urban was incredible in it, he puts so much into so little.

Been working my way through all the 80's b-horror movies on Tubi. Watched "The Zero Boys" this weekend, which was about survivalists who go camping and run into cannibal hillbillies. Pretty entertaining if you like shlock (which I do.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Been working my way through all the 80's b-horror movies on Tubi. Watched "The Zero Boys" this weekend, which was about survivalists who go camping and run into cannibal hillbillies. Pretty entertaining if you like shlock (which I do.)
    For the Western fans, Old Henry is worth a watch. Very good.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Nessland View Post
    For the Western fans, Old Henry is worth a watch. Very good.
    Seconded. Slow but kept the attention of my ADHD tribe. I'm told the shooting is more authentic than most movies.