Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Anybody want to share their action movie recommendations? I feel like I've watched them all and I know that can't be the case. I just don't know what I don't know.
    I’ll assume you’ve seen the staples like Terminator 1 and 2, The Matrix, Christopher. Nolan Batman series, etc. Here are a few of my faves that aren’t quite as top of mind:

Last Man Standing - underrated gunslinging movie starring Bruce Willis that takes place during prohibition. Christopher Walken has a memorable role. Gunplay is a little corny at times but it’s forgiveable.

Hero - not usually a fan of Asian martial arts movies, but Hero is one of my favorites. Soundtrack is amazing. Plus it isn’t very long…I think under 1 1/2 hours.

Heat - the shootout scenes are incredible, and Al Pacino and Robert De Niro deliver great performances

Spy Game - not sure this is technically an action movie, but it’s a fast paced spy thriller that I found entertaining even after multiple watches

No Way Home is pretty good Mark but there is plenty of time to wait if you dont want to see it on the big screen without ruining phase 4 of the MCU. I watched it at the drive in tonight which made my boy happy because he has been itching to ruin it for a couple of weeks since he saw it.

@Jenni: American Samurai, Shootfighter, those are a couple I can think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I’ll assume you’ve seen the staples like Terminator 1 and 2, The Matrix, Christopher. Nolan Batman series, etc. Here are a few of my faves that aren’t quite as top of mind:

Spy Game - not sure this is technically an action movie, but it’s a fast paced spy thriller that I found entertaining even after multiple watches
    Spy Game, absolutely. Fast paced and stylish. The wife/ girlfriend will watch Brad Pitt or Robert Redford. Both gave outstanding performances. I have also seen it multiple times and it is always good.

Just watched Operation Finale. Thriller based on Israel’s capture of Adolf Eichmann in Argentina. Very entertaining, suspenseful and not boring like many espionage movies can be. Ben Kingsley plays Eichmann, great performance despite not many lines— manipulative like Anthony Hopkins’ Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.

I would recommend Argo or Munich first though if you haven’t seen those yet.

Been on a Tubi kick lately, lots of random finds on there. If you haven't used it, it's free and you don't have to create an account.

Anyway, watched Dead-End Drive-In, an 80's Aussie flick about a couple in a Mad Max-type future, who go to the drive-in movies only to be imprisoned and have it turned into some sort of refugee camp. Horrible acting, but I enjoyed jt none the less.

I'm a fan of 70's movies set in NYC. One of the best is "Joe", starring Peter Boyle as an Archie Bunker style barstool prophet who gets mixed up with a few hippies; one of whom is played by a young Susan Sarandon. it's not a cinematic milestone, but the plot is interesting.

I assumed the new Ghostbusters movie would be shit, however it's the first time in a long time that all three of my teenage kids watched a movie with us, without disappearing to their rooms part-way through. I didn't love the movie, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

I'm clearly very late to the Yellowstone TV series, but it is entertaining and a great advert for that part of the US. Beautiful scenery. If only we were allowed to travel.

Just the movies, Ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    I assumed the new Ghostbusters movie would be shit, however it's the first time in a long time that all three of my teenage kids watched a movie with us, without disappearing to their rooms part-way through. I didn't love the movie, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.
    I'm waiting for it to be available to rent on demand.

I've been saying for years that the correct plot for a Ghostbusters sequel would have to involve Ryan Reynolds in some capacity, either as the offspring of Peter Venkman or revising the character completely. He does that smarmy, sarcastic, b.s. artist thing that Bill Murray used to do​ perfectly.

Default FJB

starting strength coach development program
    Fatman - I liked the premise. Mel Gibson and Walton Goggins were their usual awesome selves. Rough around the edges but there's potential there.

Old Henry - Highly recommended. More in the realm of Unforgiven than Tombstone. One of the few rentals I watched twice.

Rocky IV: Rocky Vs. Drago - Delved more into each of the characters. If you're a fan of the Rocky universe I think you'll like this version as much as the original theatrical version. Montages! I'm a stickler for Rocky's life lessons and wisdom nuggets that Stallone weaves into these stories. Reminds me of TMPHBITEU.