starting strength gym
Page 281 of 301 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283291 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,810 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tell me exactly what I was unable to comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    I, for one, wouldn't let everyone know that you weren't able to comprehend Predator. But hey, you do you.

I haven't seen Prey yet so it'd be interesting to see if my thoughts are accurate based on what it actually was:

Movies can be woke by structure and/or execution.

Structurally woke is the elements of the story. If you have a movie where a trans kid becomes a boxer and heroically rises through the leagues of Female boxers with his feminine Y chromosome. That's a woke movie that's been written and handed to a director.

Executionally woke is basically star wars. Any hetero white Males despite being required as part of the story, are only used as a punching bag for "The message" as critical drinkers would say. They don't want Luke skywalker to exist, but he has too, so he'll be the butt of the jokes for other more diverse characters.

Really bad movies are both woke in structure and execution, ghostbusters comes to mind.

Woke movies are bad a) because their culturally subversive and degrading to society as a whole, and b) as entertainment they are just bad because "the message" is priority #1, entertainment is priority #2.

Prey looks to be a movie that's structurally woke, but not in execution. The woke pieces were handed to the director, however they made the choice to focus on entertainment as the top priority.

Is that accurate for those that have seen it?

Anyone notice that the pistol given to the girl by the trapper looks very much like the one given to Danny Glover at the end of P2?

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I think the German bodybuilder hiding from the super advanced alien ogre in mud was much more realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Totally, Palios!!! Insane.

I do otherwise enjoy the realism of a very humanoid alien with five fingers and five toes, who has traveled a handful of light years just to hunt extremely technologically inferior beings, and behaves essentially like a savage human with a weird face and cool weapons as the antagonist, though. Solid!!

The sarcasm is strong with these two.....

In the world of the predator, it is inconsistent.

Prey...
    - zero technology, at all. Hell, the predator would be like a god to them.
    - she LITERALLY can't kill a rabbit with the ax.
    - she can't kill a mountain lion
    - her head must be made of solid steel, bc her skull would have shattered like a watermelon that rock when she fell off the tree.
    - she can't hold her own against 2 14yo Indian boys, but absolutely kicks the shit out of two grown French men (a cool scene, BTW)
    - she can all of a sudden use thors ax with a handmade lasso of truth to gravity defying accuracy, and now can hit (accurately hit) an invisible, moving alien. She learned some matrix moved too for that last fight. (PS.....a reminder that she couldn't hit bugs bunny just a short time ago).
    - Dutch is absolutely shelled when he's done beating the predator. An elite trained special forces soldier. SHELLED. But your girl casually walks back to camp, no emotion for her dead brother or the rest of the maimed, mutilated, dead search party that were all her friends.

Jovan, the predator can't see through mud... It must block body heat. It's his kryptonyte. Who knows, who cares; I didnt write the movie . They easily could have repeated that in Prey, but they (wisely) didn't. And he's an Austrian bodybuilder....turned elite special forces!

None of this shit is realistic. But in this world, it at least should be consistent.

I'll repeat, I enjoyed Prey. I'm glad I watched it. Watching the predator go through 18th century people is a bit of an unfair fight, but it was fun anyway. A 6 out of 10. Prob on par with predator 2, and better than all the other predator movies except the original.

The original is a 20 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    This is what he does, Palios.

Like how Arnold learns things and outsmarts the predator using mud and sticks, lol.

Prey is basically the same movie with a different setting and characters. And its awesome.

Good point, Alex.

Do you then think the Prey girl is Dutch's equal? Is she superior to Billy (in the original)?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Like how Arnold learns things and outsmarts the predator using mud and sticks, lol.

Prey is basically the same movie with a different setting and characters. And its awesome.

Good point, Alex.

Do you then think the Prey girl is Dutch's equal? Is she superior to Billy (in the original)?
    Yes. Did you miss the part where she observed and learned things and then came up with a plan? She’s not retarded, lol.

The sarcasm is strong with these two.....

In the world of the predator, it is inconsistent.

Prey...
    - zero technology, at all. Hell, the predator would be like a god to them.
    - she LITERALLY can't kill a rabbit with the ax.
    - she can't kill a mountain lion
    - her head must be made of solid steel, bc her skull would have shattered like a watermelon that rock when she fell off the tree.
    - she can't hold her own against 2 14yo Indian boys, but absolutely kicks the shit out of two grown French men (a cool scene, BTW)
    - she can all of a sudden use thors ax with a handmade lasso of truth to gravity defying accuracy, and now can hit (accurately hit) an invisible, moving alien. She learned some matrix moved too for that last fight. (PS.....a reminder that she couldn't hit bugs bunny just a short time ago).
    - Dutch is absolutely shelled when he's done beating the predator. An elite trained special forces soldier. SHELLED. But your girl casually walks back to camp, no emotion for her dead brother or the rest of the maimed, mutilated, dead search party that were all her friends.

Jovan, the predator can't see through mud... It must block body heat. It's his kryptonyte. Who knows, who cares; I didnt write the movie . They easily could have repeated that in Prey, but they (wisely) didn't. And he's an Austrian bodybuilder....turned elite special forces!

None of this shit is realistic. But in this world, it at least should be consistent.

I'll repeat, I enjoyed Prey. I'm glad I watched it. Watching the predator go through 18th century people is a bit of an unfair fight, but it was fun anyway. A 6 out of 10. Prob on par with predator 2, and better than all the other predator movies except the original.

The original is a 20 out of 10.
    I don't know what to tell you man. Movies are make believe, girls beating up guys 150 pounds heavier than them have been a thing in action movies for decades.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds fascinating. I mean, anything by S.S, Rajamouli is a must see!! Of all the Talugu-language films I have seen, this one is by far the best!!!
    I'll attempt to see it a third time at some point this week. Will report back whether or not it is still good.