Page 288 of 301 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298 ... LastLast
Results 2,871 to 2,880 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "This isn't about who's the strongest. This is about not giving up."
    "We have a word for that in Finland."

Sisu - a simple, low-budget gory action Finnish fantasy war film.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    "This isn't about who's the strongest. This is about not giving up."
    "We have a word for that in Finland."

Sisu - a simple, low-budget gory action Finnish fantasy war film.
    Expensive movie on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Expensive movie on Amazon.
    Hmm...and not available in DVD yet. So, you'll wait. But, put it on the list for later when you can own it.

There is a movie/documentary on Stevie Ray and Jimmy Vaughan: "Brothers in Blues" and available to rent on amazon. And it appears a DVD can be purchased there, too.

For the Vaughan junkies, there is not very much new but anything Vaughan-related is usually recommended. I don't regret the $5 rental splurge.

Sorcerer (1977). Directed by William Friedkin. I don’t think this movie has ever been brought up on the boards before. I watch if every few years or so and it still holds up.

Four desperate men transport unstable dynamite in beat up trucks over difficult terrain. It’s an ambitious, dark and cynical action movie.

This is probably Friedkin’s third best movie, made after The French Connection (1971) and The Exorcist (1973) and it has a great score by Tangerine Dream. Unfortunately, Star Wars was released around the same time and it became a financial disaster. Sorcerer made only around 9 million of the 21 million that it cost. 21 million was a lot of money for a film in 1977. More than Close Encounters cost. Coming from the director of The Exorcist and having a title that denoted the supernatural turned audiences away when they learned that it was dark thriller.

The script was written for Steve McQueen. McQueen loved the script and wanted to do it but he had just married Ali McGraw and wanted a part for her in the film. There was no female lead. He then asked if it could be shot it in the United States. He didn’t want to be away from Ali McGraw. Friedkin said no. McQeen then asked if Ali could be made an associate producer. Friedkin said no again, which he now regrets. Had McQeen been in the movie fortunes may have turned out differently.

John Wick movies are ridiculous for a number of reasons, but my 16yo son wanted to watch no.4 - it was probably 45-60 mins longer than it needed to be, but not otherwise terrible.

Fast X is just horrible.

I liked Extraction (Chris Hemsworth) when it came out a few years ago. Extraction 2, just out on Netflix, is nowhere near as good - the story is fairly lame, but the action and cinematography makes it watchable. Somewhere around mid-film, a bad guy enters the story briefly and he looks suspiciously like he could be Nick D's close relative. Or I could be just racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    John Wick movies are ridiculous for a number of reasons, but my 16yo son wanted to watch no.4 - it was probably 45-60 mins longer than it needed to be, but not otherwise terrible.

Fast X is just horrible.

I liked Extraction (Chris Hemsworth) when it came out a few years ago. Extraction 2, just out on Netflix, is nowhere near as good - the story is fairly lame, but the action and cinematography makes it watchable. Somewhere around mid-film, a bad guy enters the story briefly and he looks suspiciously like he could be Nick D's close relative. Or I could be just racist.
    I'll watch this week to see. But also, you're definitely a racist.

Fast X is just horrible.

If you watch Fast X at the Alamo Drafthouse after day-drinking it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    But also, you're definitely a racist.
    I have just enough white guilt to go back and have a look. Not a dead ringer, but....never mind, I'll stop digging now. Not sure if it's his first appearance in the film, but he features at around 1hr 20mins. I could also be blind or just an idiot.

Alex, I concede Mr Diesel et al have clearly made a shitload of money and must know their audience (of day drinkers?) fairly well.

Not usually my type of film, but being a Guy Ritchie fan, I watched The Covenant the other day and enjoyed it. IMDb summary - "During the war in Afghanistan, a local interpreter risks his own life to carry an injured sergeant across miles of grueling terrain."

Lastly, one that may only appeal to Australian humour, a really obscure film called The Magician, which you can view in full on youtube. The bloke who wrote and stars in it got himself funding and collaboration with Nash Edgerton (Joel's brother) to turn it into a series (which I've watched 3 times now), but I understand we only talk films here, so won't say what it is called.

That'll do me. Cheers.

starting strength coach development program

Fast X is just horrible.

This is why I say my taste in movies is bad.....I had so much fun with the Wick movies once I got past the puppy dying part. (I fast forwarded it.) I also love the Fast and Furious franchise. It's the cars. And Vin Deisel. And Michelle Rodriguez. (I've had a girl crush on her since I saw her in Resident Evil.) I though Mamoa made a fabulous villain and enjoyed the addition of Alan Ritchson. (Finally, a Reacher who looks like Reacher is supposed to look!) They are already talking Extraction 3. I'm embarrassingly excited about it.

Finally saw Snyder's JL cut. I don't understand why they didn't just let that be the movie. It's so much better. If I'd have spent money to see it in the theater when it first came out I'd be so pissed. Why can't the DCU get its shit together?! And now they fired Cavill as Superman? Morons.