starting strength gym

Thread: Healing Old Injuries (minor pec tear, shoulder issue)

Default Healing Old Injuries (minor pec tear, shoulder issue)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Searched the boards, didn't find my answer. If there is a thread that answers this question that I missed, please direct me to it.
    Regarding the pec tear I had years ago: Do I have a Minor Pec Tear?
    Still hasn't healed after 4 years; still feel burning and/or tearing feeling in armpit sometimes while doing pullups, bench. Tried some dumbbell flies and was fairly noticeable. Since this sounds like a tendon issue instead of a muscle belly, how to fix this after all this time?

2nd issue: Shoulder injury about 10 years ago, shoulder popped while doing dumbbell incline. Couldn't lift arm above parallel for a week or two. Started lifting again after full ROM was back. Saw ortho about 4 years later, nothing on MRI. Incline, OHP and flat bench cause pain, most frequent on incline, least frequent on flat bench. Injured shoulder is easily fatiguable; I've tried rehabbing it by doing 10 or 20 pound OHP for sets of 25 but it gets tired and causes this terrible, dull ache after 10 or 15 reps. What's the most likely issue? Shoulder impingement syndrome? How to fix?

Let me know if the forum would be better served by splitting this post into two.

Thanks for the help.

1st issue is not a muscle belly injury. So, after 4 years you'll need a diagnosis. 2nd issue is likewise difficult to see from Wichita Falls. Might be arthritis subsequent to a cuff tendon tear. Might be something else.

I agree w/regards to needing a diagnosis for #1. For what it's worth however I had a very similar problem for about a year and I had success doing slow deep negatives with dumbbell flyes. In fact I do these 3xWeek and back off on bench press anytime my pec/armpit starts to act up. Pec problems are a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    I had a very similar problem for about a year and I had success doing slow deep negatives with dumbbell flyes. In fact I do these 3xWeek and back off on bench press anytime my pec/armpit starts to act up.
    So, it hasn't helped, right? Why would it still be acting up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So, it hasn't helped, right? Why would it still be acting up?
    I would say in the short term it has helped some by shortening my down time. I can't prove that. I was trying to apply the Achilles tendon pubmed protocol that floats around the internet to my chest. In the long term, I think there is no hope at least in my case. It's always there I just bench with a closer grip to minimize exacerbating it.