starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little platform video on pulling

Default A little platform video on pulling

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Coach,
    This is very helpful and timely. Question for you with some background. I have started coaching our high school power lifting team. 3.5 weeks in. I am working with girls and senior guys.

One problem I am having with one girl is the rounding of the lower back on her deadlifts. The pull is strong off the floor and she has no issue locking out. However, about 3 reps into her set her lower back begins rounding, by the fifth, it is pretty bad.

She is a gymnast and is aware of the rounding, but can't seem to control it.

I believe it is both a form issue-meaning hips seem to raise too fast and she is starting the pull as she fatigues with her arms and lower back--but also a lower back strength issue.

What I can glean from the books and forums is:

1. Don't increase weight, but increase volume. So if she doesn't round on 135 for 5. Do 3 sets of 5 at 135. Add weight until she starts rounding. Then hold steady until the rounding stops.

2. Use light weight RDLs to strengthen the lower back and don't add weight to her DL work set if she rounds.

3. Remind her to squeezing her hamstrings and glutes tight before beginning the pull.

Anything else? Your input and that of the other coaches is much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Mark

1. This is not a form issue -- it's a lumber erector strength issue. She should be doing triples (https://www.t-nation.com/training/st...ing-for-women/). She starts at a weight she can do in perfect extension and then goes up from that weight in 2.5-pound jumps each workout.

2. How will light weights strengthen her erectors?

3. She doesn't think about her glutes, because glutes don't extend the lumbar spine -- they extend the hips.

Is it just me or does the trainee's back angle vary between reps? If so, why?

Because I wasn't coaching back angle. I was coaching lumbar extension. I thought that was clear.

What is causing the change in back angle?

A lack of focus on the back angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    1. This is not a form issue -- it's a lumber erector strength issue. She should be doing triples (https://www.t-nation.com/training/st...ing-for-women/). She starts at a weight she can do in perfect extension and then goes up from that weight in 2.5-pound jumps each workout.
    Shit. Thank you. I can't believe I didn't consider moving her to triples especially since I just moved her squats to triples.

Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A lack of focus on the back angle.
    This is what happens when you post questions questions on the fucking board. Could you elaborate?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skjill View Post
    This is what happens when you post questions questions on the fucking board. Could you elaborate?
    And this is what happens when I answer questions from people who haven't read the fucking book. What controls the back angle?

Just to cut this short, the hamstrings control the back angle.

Now, think carefully: what muscle group were we concerned with in the video?

Was it the hamstrings?

No, it was the lumbar erectors. Because the problem we were specifically dealing with in the video was lumbar extension. Which we dealt with. In the fucking video.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast