starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vomit: NSFW

Science has come a long way since the days of Galileo, Kepler, and Newton.

Exclamation

Just reading about these dangerous videos has crushed my psyche, leaving me in an emotional pit of despair. I'll be going back to my safe space now.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Well, I for one hope this study has the much needed effect on the SSC's methods.

I expect that from here on out every client will get told how pretty they look that day and how, make the lift or not, they are really and truly special.

I also hope this finally convinces you to replace those outdated and, let's be honest, scary cues like "kneeeees" and "hip driiiive" with "you can do iiiiit" and "you're great on the inside".

Enough people have been hurt already.

May God bless Mr. Cardinal and his fine work!

I wonder if what he is saying actually makes sense to him?

Only a fly could roll enough eyes.

Negative statements included phrases such as “say hello to your sexy six-pack,” “you better be sweating,” and “you should be dying right now.”

You know, I started on a Master's degree in kinesiology, but it was largely material like this that made me forgo that path.

A study of 10 popular commercial exercise DVDs showed that the imagery in the fitness videos may be perpetuating and reinforcing hyper-sexualized and unrealistic body images, said Brad Cardinal, a kinesiology professor in the College of Public Health and Human Sciences at Oregon State University.
    I just wanted to learn more about how the human body moves and works, but they seemed far more concerned with topics like the ethics of teaching a fitness course.

Fitness DVDs are a $250 million a year industry but there is no scientific evidence about their safety and effectiveness or the accuracy of the information contained in them
    Yeah, except for all the people that start exercising and get in better shape thanks to them. (Whether they keep exercising and stay in decent shape is another matter altogether.)

and the industry is largely unregulated
    As it should be.

Researchers found that most of the instructors and models were slim, female and white, and they typically wore revealing attire. That sends a subtle message about what people who are fit should look like, Cardinal said.
    Which, oddly enough, is what most people who purchase those DVDs already want to be.

Negative statements included phrases such as “say hello to your sexy six-pack,”
    How is that even negative? Oh wait:
    Those kinds of phrases focus on outcomes
    Heaven forbid. I'm done here.

starting strength coach development program
    Agree, that's probably the biggest issue with fitness DVDs. After being useless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast