starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enough of the Functional Training bullshit. Strength is not "specific."

Default Enough of the Functional Training bullshit. Strength is not "specific."

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

JudoATunez Guest

As always, great article, coach Ripp.

This year in college, in anatomy and physiology we've learned that there are four main things that determine the stability of a given joint: bone shape, ligament length and extensibility (passive stabilization, as these cannot be influenced by training), muscle tone and the muscle mass around a joint (these two provide active stabilization, since we can influence these through training).

Nevertheless, right after saying this, the teacher said ''that's why stability training is so important''...

I coached Circus for quite a while, and noted that gym bros picked every skill up faster than the weaklings.

This often included flexibility training, there too did they excel.

If I open my own school one day, it'll likely be "Squats and Trapeze Centre"

great article as always. small typo last sentence of 6th para (This enables the specific skills obtained in practice can be expressed at their highest level.)

Please tell me the accompanying picture was staged. Not even a Level 1 cert can teach that, can they?

Judo, your teacher's comment is true, but what controls your joint position is also based upon proprio- and mechano- receptors around your joints that tell your central nervous system where it is in space. So he left a few other structures out. Maybe he meant "muscle tone" here, but that is not the whole picture. So a major part of our ability to maintain joint integrity and generate force is dependent on afferent input. I work with spinal cord injury and nerve damaged patients and they're inability to generate force is largely due to they just cannot "feel" what they are trying to move or they have CNS disruption.

I think this is where the functional training world has been trying to place they're efforts (but are failing). This is where good coaching comes into play. Many people just are weak not aware of their bad joint positions. So those "function trainers" have all these contrived pieces of equipment to decrease proprioception and drills to help coach poor movement. If someone doesn't have nerve damage they have no excuse, just getting stronger through full range will ensure they will have stable joints.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    Please tell me the accompanying picture was staged. Not even a Level 1 cert can teach that, can they?
    Staged? God no. It's a part of every complete breakfast.

I get done reading your article just shaking my head up and down because you are preaching to the choir with me. Well, today I log into Facebook and the NSCA has posted this "Selection and Design of Sport-Specific Resistance Training" article. I read through it and this is one of the few suggested "example exercises for specificity" for a thrower

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Just to show everyone that Rip isn't just blowing smoke. The NSCA has the CSCS cert that is pretty much required to work at the collegiate level. I seen it first hand, "strength coaches" that can't deadlift 350 pounds(lol) that wasted their athletes time doing med ball twist throws while they were weak and needed to just back squat more with heavy weight. Sad.

Wow, they actually use the word "contralateral." I thought that was Rip being facetious.

starting strength coach development program
    You guys will eventually believe me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast