starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new press video with Brent Carter SSC

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    It's a good and very (terribly) useful vid, but I'm a little disappointed that Brent didn't show us his proprietary patented Press 3.0.
    Or my awesome cue for fixing people who throw their heads forward.

I found this to be a "terribly useful" video. Your demonstrator reproduced the errors flawlessly. Terribly useful skill.

Textbook description of the press, great work Brent.
    Really love when you slapped the board, scared the shit out of her, "don't touch my board!"

This video has helped me greatly in understanding the press 2.0. Up until now I've simply been doing strict presses.

I don't actually feel like I can lift more when press 2.0 as opposed to strict press though. Is that an indication of doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Or my awesome cue for fixing people who throw their heads forward.
    Could you elaborate?

Outstanding. Really useful to me. When Brent took the board and said do not swing your hips back and hit this board, I realize I do that, and now I will just swing my hips forward (only) and then press. Good cue on no bent knees and how that changes the movement into a push press. Also good info on how effective it is for strengthening the rotator cuff.

I tell ya, I am so impressed by what the SSC's bring to the table between the articles and videos. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    This video has helped me greatly in understanding the press 2.0. Up until now I've simply been doing strict presses.

I don't actually feel like I can lift more when press 2.0 as opposed to strict press though. Is that an indication of doing it wrong?
    It's an indication that you've never done them before. But this version of the press is not like the push press, where it's not unusual to see 20-30% more weight being lifted than with a strict press. Perhaps you're expecting more than is possible.

Perhaps your strict press is not as strict as you think it is.

Could you elaborate?
    I could.

Knees, aryah. Think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Knees, aryah. Think.
    Let's make a quick fun little video this weekend.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's an indication that you've never done them before. But this version of the press is not like the push press, where it's not unusual to see 20-30% more weight being lifted than with a strict press. Perhaps you're expecting more than is possible.
    Okay thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It actually makes sense that I have to practice this new movement before being able to realize my potential with it. I guess I jumped the gun a little.

Perhaps your strict press is not as strict as you think it is.
    When I strict press my hips and knees stay locked and static through contraction of the quads, glutes and stomach. Can it get any more strict than that?

I could.
    Would you please elaborate?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast