starting strength gym

Thread: Podcast: Joe Leppo on SS, the Submarine service, life in the Navy, training at sea

Default Podcast: Joe Leppo on SS, the Submarine service, life in the Navy, training at sea

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

These podcasts keep getting better and better.

I find it odd that everyone is so damn sunny and cherry. Where are all the curmudgeons?

I enjoyed the Podcast. Thanks!

Commander, as a civilian I was on the USS Wasp and Kearsarge for a week each. I thought the gyms were very good (and most military gyms are excellent - as they should be). There was not a squat rack but they had one of the two axis Smiths http://startingstrength.com/resource...h-machine.html. I couldn't get used to it in a week. The thing I will always remember, though, is bench pressing. I found that completely unnerving. I suspect that it was the sensation of motion more than the actual pitch and role. What are the PT rooms like on a sub?

(Also, no shortage of food! The Navy feeds well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    I find it odd that everyone is so damn sunny and cherry. Where are all the curmudgeons?
    Thanks, Browndog. Although your comment made me laugh out loud; I'm not often described as sunny and cherry! Rip and Nick had me laughing before we started filming--I guess that carried over into the rest of the podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    I enjoyed the Podcast. Thanks!

Commander, as a civilian I was on the USS Wasp and Kearsarge for a week each. I thought the gyms were very good (and most military gyms are excellent - as they should be). There was not a squat rack but they had one of the two axis Smiths http://startingstrength.com/resource...h-machine.html. I couldn't get used to it in a week. The thing I will always remember, though, is bench pressing. I found that completely unnerving. I suspect that it was the sensation of motion more than the actual pitch and role. What are the PT rooms like on a sub?

(Also, no shortage of food! The Navy feeds well.)
    Thanks, Bcharles!

Although not part of ship's company, I've been a rider on both of those hulls when they were in Japan (Sasebo vice Yokosuka). I found (through trial & error) that I needed to use a bench that was positioned parallel to the keel and as close to centerline as possible. Even then, if the ship was noticable rolling we had to back of on the amount of weight on the bar. No dedicated PT space or gym on a fast attack submarine. There were some odd pieces of equipment thrown about wherever they could find some space. I remember a couple of C2 Rowers, a bike or 2, and the Captain had a treadmill up near O-Country. I wasn't a lifter back then...

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post

He hasn't had me on one yet. Just wait...

Great podcast.

I too was on a submarine. The USS Philadelphia SSN 690 (a fast attack sub) for about 4 years, along time ago from 1992 -1996. I was a nuke machinist mate (ELT). I always tell people that submarines are pretty cool unless you have to live on them.

Anyway, Joe, thanks for your service to the country and the strength community.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh, I forgot to mention Rip. A pretty good book about the Los Angeles class submarines.

Running Critical: The Silent War, Rickover, and General Dynamics