starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starting Strength Podcast | Physical Therapy Done Right with John Petrizzo

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks Mark for having John on that podcast.

Again, I work as a PT assistant in various settings and my frustrations with the medical model for PT implementation in the outpatient setting is the same. I originally got into the profession because I want to help people get back to living their lives to the fullest. I soon found out once completing school that the notion of progression and exposing patients to full range strength training close to discharge is essentially none. It's just not taught. It is true though that the majority of jobs in the PT world are not outpatient settings, but rather nursing homes and hospitals where the goals are completely different.

So at my outpatient job I'm on the front lines trying to change things, but it's very upsetting.

I too would like to see Mark and John's practical approach to basic rehab for the common injuries put in video form as a series or part of the future revised editions of SSBBT.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    It is hard for me to say without knowing more about your surgery, but my general experience has been that a lot of the orthopedic surgeons I deal with greatly downplay the recovery after most surgical procedures. Most of my post-op patients are genuinely surprised at how much pain they are in post-op and how long full recovery often takes. That doesn't mean that your time in PT could not have been better spent, it just means that just because the surgeon said there wouldn't be "much recovery" doesn't mean that is always the case.
    I think all orthopedic surgeons should have a Mumford procedure, whether they actually need one or not, just so they understand what it feels like to have this intracapsular procedure performed. The cuff repair was exquisitely painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think all orthopedic surgeons should have a Mumford procedure, whether they actually need one or not, just so they understand what it feels like to have this intracapsular procedure performed. The cuff repair was exquisitely painful.
    Cuff repairs are among the most debilitating surgeries I see on a regular basis. Nobody is prepared for how much pain they are going to be in post-op. Just about every single one of them I see are genuinely shocked at how much their arm/shoulder/neck hurts the first few weeks after surgery.

It is hard for me to say without knowing more about your surgery, but my general experience has been that a lot of the orthopedic surgeons I deal with greatly downplay the recovery after most surgical procedures. Most of my post-op patients are genuinely surprised at how much pain they are in post-op and how long full recovery often takes.
    I've got osteoarthritis in my GH. Ortho's keep mentioning replacement but I'm kinda young(39) for that. Anyhow I had decompression, bone spur removal, and Mumford on my left shoulder.

As for the arthritis it doesn't cause me anywhere near the amount of pain the Ortho(s) think it should after looking at the MRI. I believe that's due to keeping all the muscles of the shoulder strong.

In retrospect it was pretty silly of me to think I wouldn't have much recovery, they shaved my bone off.

Cuff repairs are among the most debilitating surgeries I see on a regular basis. Nobody is prepared for how much pain they are going to be in post-op. Just about every single one of them I see are genuinely shocked at how much their arm/shoulder/neck hurts the first few weeks after surgery.
    My dad has gone through two complete hip replacements, one total knee replacement and a cuff repair on his shoulder. The only time I’ve ever seen him literally break into a cold sweat and nearly come to tears was with the shoulder rehab. As far as pain in rehab is concerned, he still says he’d take a hip or knee replacement over the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustafson View Post
    I've got osteoarthritis in my GH. Ortho's keep mentioning replacement but I'm kinda young(39) for that. Anyhow I had decompression, bone spur removal, and Mumford on my left shoulder.

As for the arthritis it doesn't cause me anywhere near the amount of pain the Ortho(s) think it should after looking at the MRI. I believe that's due to keeping all the muscles of the shoulder strong.

In retrospect it was pretty silly of me to think I wouldn't have much recovery, they shaved my bone off.
    The best thing you can do for your shoulder long-term is to continue to train. You should check out Dwayne Wint's training log in the Competitive Lifter's forum. He had a similar diagnosis and surgical procedure last year and made a full recovery. He even benched over 400 this past summer in competition less than a year after his surgery.

My dad has gone through two complete hip replacements, one total knee replacement and a cuff repair on his shoulder. The only time I’ve ever seen him literally break into a cold sweat and nearly come to tears was with the shoulder rehab. As far as pain in rehab is concerned, he still says he’d take a hip or knee replacement over the shoulder.
    I hear stuff like this all the time from my patients.

The best thing you can do for your shoulder long-term is to continue to train. You should check out Dwayne Wint's training log in the Competitive Lifter's forum. He had a similar diagnosis and surgical procedure last year and made a full recovery. He even benched over 400 this past summer in competition less than a year after his surgery.
    Thanks for the response. Also thanks for the support in favor of training, it backs up my beliefs which as you and Rip and many other folks here know is in stark contrast to what many in the medical community believe, and prescribe.

starting strength coach development program
    Re: the references to the lit review process and John's paper on pulling mechanics. It's not just the NSCA: SCIENCE!!! ?Personality is a capitalist construct? [Darleen Click] | protein wisdom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123