starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since we got 'em, we have to train 'em: Women in Military Service by C.J. Gotcher

Default Since we got 'em, we have to train 'em: Women in Military Service by C.J. Gotcher

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I appreciate the DBZ reference. Even if Krillin did markedly improve through Silly Bullshit training (you can tell the people who wrote this shit never actually lifted).

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    I appreciate the DBZ reference. Even if Krillin did markedly improve through Silly Bullshit training (you can tell the people who wrote this shit never actually lifted).
    Fuck yeah, DBZ! I would be lying if I said DBZ wasn't one of the reasons I got into training... not ashamed to admit it, haha. That and He man, Ultimate Muscle, Powerpuff Gir... *cough* I mean uhm..

Krillin did have bullshit training methods compared to the others. Vegeta and Goku who had the right idea, training under enhanced gravity and increasing it "steadily" haha, as they got stronger. Saiyan linear progression so, to

The screaming and hair length also progressed in a linear fashion as the series moved note.

I'm a crazy old school DBZ fan. (':

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    Of all the things I expected you to notice and challenge...

I'd bet the percentage of newly minted infantry MEN who can deadlift 2X bodyweight is about 10%

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Murphy View Post
    I'd bet the percentage of newly minted infantry MEN who can deadlift 2X bodyweight is about 10%
    Probably even less than that.

Agreed, and that's a whole 'nother bag of worms.

You are correct. However, I am hopeful that my generation of company-grade officers and NCOs can change this fact within the Marine Corps. I am optimistic for two reason: Crossfit and the gender neutral MOS (job) physical standards (aka integration of women into the combat arms). Hear me out:

Crossfit. I assume most of us agree that crossfit is not training (this is the starting strength forum, after all). However, it has introduced many members of the military to barbell training. There is a large contingent in the Marine Corps the "does" crossfit, soflete, military athlete, or some sort of similar nonsense. These Marines are familiar with the barbell exercises in general (maybe not the SS model). There is an appetite amongst the ranks of the Corps for effective strength training.

The gender neutral MOS physical standards. Certain combat MOSs now require Marines to deadlift and power clean and press X amount of weight to meet the min requirements. Due to the implementation of this new standard, in the near future we will have a percentage of Marines who are accustomed to these movements as part of existing physical standards. I believe it will be an easier sell to introduce similar standards to the rest of the Marine Corps. This will be my generation's challenge as we progress through the ranks.

I have the beginnings of a point paper on this topic brewing in my head. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Great post, Adam! Marines have always been at the forefront regarding physical fitness. If cross fit can serve as an introduction to real strength training, so be it.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree that out of all the services, the Marines seem to have the best handle on this.

Compared to the old models, the Army's new fitness instruction, FM 7-22, is like 2-steps forward, 1 step back. Some definite improvement... and a healthy dose of WTF to go with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast