starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about which program to follow

Default Question about which program to follow

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 41 years old, 6' tall, and weigh 200 pounds. Been lifting weights on and off since high school. Lots of different programs.

However, I haven't lifted since last August. So at least 5 months off any form of lifting weights (for various reasons, including a foot injury).

Last night I tested my "almost max" (no music, no psyching up, no ammonia caps or anything like that) and did 300 x 1 for low bar squat, and after that 365 x 1 for deadlift. In the past, I have deadlifted 455 and high bar squatted 315 x 20 (20 rep breathing squat program). But that was a while ago. However, I bet that within a month if I was on a specific deadlift program like Coan/Phillipi that I could get my deadlift back up to 405+ pretty easily.

I am married with 4 kids, have a desk job, and travel frequently. But I can generally get 3 good days training in per week.

Should I start with the basic program outlined in SS? One of the programs in Practical Programming? Any weight numbers that you think I should start with, like 225 for 3 sets of 5?

I really want to stick to a program and get my squat up to 405 and, hopefully (!), my deadlift up to 500.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you exhausted the potential of the standard novice progression? Is that how you got to these strength levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you exhausted the potential of the standard novice progression? Is that how you got to these strength levels?
    Sorry I didn't make it clear. No, I haven't tried the standard novice progression.

The programs that I've done have all been different approaches, like 20 rep squats and others.

I have not done your program or the Texas Method or anything similar.

I don't know if because of my age or the fact that I've done other programs since high school means that I shouldn't do the standard novice progression, or some other program listed in Practical Programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post
    I don't know if because of my age or the fact that I've done other programs since high school means that I shouldn't do the standard novice progression, or some other program listed in Practical Programming.
    I am 41. Squats in mid 400s, deads in mid 500s. These are work sets, not 1 RM. Do the standard Novice LP. EAT. SLEEP. Run that as long as you can. Then move on to advanced novice. EAT. SLEEP. From there you will tweak as needed.

You're a novice. Most are.

Andy, read the books.

I was afraid you'd say something simple like that.

Will do.

Thanks for everyone else's input as well.

I think there was the suggestion once here to always run a linear progression after a lay-off to get back as fast as you can to previous strength levels.

Also Andy, don't be afraid to be 6'0" 220 in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by deeprooted View Post
    I think there was the suggestion once here to always run a linear progression after a lay-off to get back as fast as you can to previous strength levels.
    If you can run a novice linear progression, then you should. It's like having the choice between making $50 an hour and $25 dollars an hour. If you had the choice, which would you choose?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Apologies for the mini derail, Rip. What do you think of the usage of ammonia caps for novices?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast