starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you have an amazing session, what do you do?

Default When you have an amazing session, what do you do?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quick background:

43 years old
    5'9" 225 20%ish bf, mostly belly fat.
    Currently at (3 x 5's): Squat - 290, Dead - 280, Bench - 146, Press - 92.
    Current schedule: Monday, Thursday, A and B routines using the SS App (which is spectacular, by the way), substituting dumbbell rows (85lbs) and lat pulldowns (160lbs) for Power Cleans, alternating. 3 workout week (MWF) 1st week of the month.

Started roughly following SS plan in August of '15. Diet was (and still is) missing piece. Not enough protein, too much bullshit. Working on it.
    Hit a huge overtraining pit in November. 2 weeks rest, scaled back from MWF to current schedule. No OT problems since.
    Linear progression flattening, using mini plates to progress with smaller increments (3lbs/per squat, 2 deadlift, 1.5 bench, 1 press.)

Absolutely demolished my entire workout today. Never completed my last bench set of 5 in sequence (without racking and unracking to squeeze out the last 1 or 2) at 145, tore through all 3 sets without any problem. Similar with squats, although I've never racked on those. Everything just felt light. It was awesome.

What I did today was just do the schedule, and leave. My question is, when I'm having a big day like that should I do "more" (sets, reps, exercise variants, whatever) to stimulate more adaptation, or should I just let a good day be a good day? Obviously if that trend continues I'm going to increase my weight progressions, but should I do that within the session, too?

Thanks.

This is the way the workouts are supposed to feel, for several months. When you have a good one, that's normal. Stick with the program, exactly as written, or you'll get stuck.

Head home and have a celebratory fuck. Always a great way to top off a great workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobnorton View Post
    Head home and have a celebratory fuck. Always a great way to top off a great workout.
    That should go in the 4th edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobnorton View Post
    Head home and have a celebratory fuck.
    Unless you live with your mom, that would be gross.

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    Unless you live with your mom, that would be gross.
    Punctuation is really, really important.

Quote Originally Posted by Middle-aged Dad View Post
    Never completed my last bench set of 5 in sequence (without racking and unracking to squeeze out the last 1 or 2)
    I've never heard of anyone doing 3-4 reps, then racking the weight, then unracking and getting 1-2 more. Once you rack the bar, the set is over. If you failed to get the 5 reps in, then adjust accordingly.

Eat a steak. Though, that's just a standing order.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
    That should go in the 4th edition.
    Completely unrelated to the thread, but I love the Cryptonomicon reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie68 View Post
    Punctuation is really, really important.
    Well I wouldn't want a period to spoil his good time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is the way the workouts are supposed to feel, for several months. When you have a good one, that's normal. Stick with the program, exactly as written, or you'll get stuck.
    I'm glad that question was asked. I've started back in on the novice progression after a long layoff, and I've been thinking, "This is too easy! I must not be doing enough..." Thought I might not be doing enough to spur adaptation, but the weights keep slowly going up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast