starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stay Strong and Active Because the Alternative Really Can Suck

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip, does Gus know that a bunch of random people on the interwebs are ecstatic about the progress she made? If so, what does she think about that?

She knew at one time. I'm sure that, at 93, she has other things on her mind. No dementia, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    I haven't actually heard of those canisters actually blowing up, I suppose it's possible. But it's not uncommon for people to light the tubing on fire when the oxygen is ignited by the cigarette. Then the molten plastic gives them third degree burns in a line under their nose, cheeks and behind their ears. I'd guess most people who use oxygen and continue to smoke generally ignore us when we tell them not to do those things together. After all, they've been doing it for years and it hasn't caught fire yet! Stupid doctors.
    Whats worse is when the oxygen saturates their bedding and THAT goes up.

My parents are in their early 60's, and started training soon after I showed them the video of Gus. I've had a thankful moment nearly every day since, for Gus and for WFAC, for inspiring my folks to grab for a longer shot at life through barbell training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I took yesterday off to get into the local Social Security office to check on what I thought was my on-line submission. The majority of the people there were a sorry lot. Predictably, they were mainly old people. Some were hobbling around on canes hunched over and were assisted by what appeared to younger family members. Both physically and mentally. Really a grim presage of what could be to come if you don't try to keep active and strong and engaged in the world beyond your sofa and daytime TV. The most egregious one was younger than me, and a classic escapee of the 60's. Long hair, lots of old faded ink, and an oxygen line to his nose with a severe limp. Really a worn look on the guy. As he loped his way around he was juggling his envelopes of papers and a lighter dropped out of his pocket. WTF! I thought. A while later he limped up to the security guard and said he was going outside for a smoke, could he watch his papers and stuff? Jesus. I suspect he won't be getting a long term payment from Social Security. If his lungs don't give, out he'll maybe forget he has an oxygen line in and blow himself to kingdom come.

Get under and keep under the iron, and encourage your aging relatives or acquaintances to do likewise.
    I've been given a very grim lesson on the consequences of many lifetimes of bad decisions in my fire/EMS career.

I work in a bedroom community, which is relatively tame and affluent. I have friends who work in gritty urban areas. Their stories are horrifying.

A middle aged overweight colleague stood up from a chair and dislocated her knee. It has been two months of having a cast/support on her knee and she is nervous about it coming off in a week. I told her to get strong and this wouldn't be a problem. She told me exercise wasn't for her.

I feel like I'm writing a stand up comedy routine, but it's the damned truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    She told me exercise wasn't for her.
    Ugh those people...I remind myself that their lives matter too but that type of helpless slackjaw can be very frustrating.

I can see where you guys are coming from and yesterday just reinforced my decision to start training a year ago. My dad, who is in his early 70's went in for a small procedure. I went to visit him after work yesterday and everyone and I mean everyone I saw in his ward were feeble. Some were old and some were, what I suspect, in their early 60's late 50's all hobbling around barely even to lift their feet off the ground when taking a step. I have no idea what issues they have but I for one do not want to get to that stage. So I train. With the hope and expectation that getting stronger each day/week/month/year etc....will at least keep me moving well into my late years until God takes me from this planet.

I've got a desk job but I try to stay active for the sake of my kids and wife. I can't tell you how good it feels to be able to toss around your 12 year old around like a rag doll and not stop cause "I hurt my back".

Side note: I used to work as a troubleshooter for a healthcare company many moons ago and I can't tell you how many times I received calls from patients who asked if it was ok they smoked while on O2 at home. We even had it on a couple of occasions when, thankfully our service tech's were there at the time, they had started a fire and burned the plastic tubing. Some people just don't get it.

There are a million "anecdotal" tales of people who never sought out strength in any form falling to hell later in life. So many so that I bounce back and forth between confusion and rage at how few people seek out progressively loaded strength training, and even more confusion and rage at the small percentage of people who do it correctly and stick with it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    I remind myself that their lives matter too
    If their lives don't matter to them, I can't imagine why you'd feel this way. Who are you to second-guess this woman?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast