starting strength gym

Thread: Barbell Loading

Question Barbell Loading

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I just read your books Starting Strength and Practical Programming and decided I need to start all over with how I was taught (which apparently wasn't very good). I've been lifting ever since high school football off and on. I'm 29 now and have injuries from the past that have come to haunt me, in particular shoulder impingements. I've taken to heart all your techniques especially on the bench to avoid any further damage.

With all that being said, I'm looking to start your novice program next week and my only question is, what's the best way to begin with weight loading and progression for someone who is more familiar than your typical novice? I looked over your plan you did with the 35 y/o former athlete and that looks like a good start. My fear is that starting too light would not induce the stress required, but on the flip side, I don't want to start too light and jump up too fast from workout to workout.

I really appreciate any feedback you could provide. Thanks for your books and YouTube channel, I wish I would've had this information when I was in high school. Take care.

TC

Did I leave this out of the books? Didn't I say to titrate the weight up to a load that would cause form breakdown on the NEXT increase, and stay there? Wouldn't this apply to you too? Is this confusing?