starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stay Strong and Active Because the Alternative Really Can Suck

Default Stay Strong and Active Because the Alternative Really Can Suck

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I took yesterday off to get into the local Social Security office to check on what I thought was my on-line submission. The majority of the people there were a sorry lot. Predictably, they were mainly old people. Some were hobbling around on canes hunched over and were assisted by what appeared to younger family members. Both physically and mentally. Really a grim presage of what could be to come if you don't try to keep active and strong and engaged in the world beyond your sofa and daytime TV. The most egregious one was younger than me, and a classic escapee of the 60's. Long hair, lots of old faded ink, and an oxygen line to his nose with a severe limp. Really a worn look on the guy. As he loped his way around he was juggling his envelopes of papers and a lighter dropped out of his pocket. WTF! I thought. A while later he limped up to the security guard and said he was going outside for a smoke, could he watch his papers and stuff? Jesus. I suspect he won't be getting a long term payment from Social Security. If his lungs don't give, out he'll maybe forget he has an oxygen line in and blow himself to kingdom come.

Get under and keep under the iron, and encourage your aging relatives or acquaintances to do likewise.

Let's just hope the guy dies before he consumes any more resources. Guys like this are a valuable negative example.

The medical/surgical unit at the hospital I work at is full of 80+ year Olds incapable of getting up to use the restroom on their own. Without fail, there is always someone in their early 60's in there for diabetic related issues who also cannot get up unassisted. Your deadlift is testament to the fact that that doesn't have to be everyone's fate.

I haven't actually heard of those canisters actually blowing up, I suppose it's possible. But it's not uncommon for people to light the tubing on fire when the oxygen is ignited by the cigarette. Then the molten plastic gives them third degree burns in a line under their nose, cheeks and behind their ears. I'd guess most people who use oxygen and continue to smoke generally ignore us when we tell them not to do those things together. After all, they've been doing it for years and it hasn't caught fire yet! Stupid doctors.

The bad thing is that this usually occurs too late in life to be of any Darwinian benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    Stupid doctors.
    They're book smart, not street smart.

It's depressing. My grandfather, now 86, recently had a fall outside his house after being startled by a stray dog. Fell and cracked six ribs and his pelvis. He's a lifetime desk jockey and has been in the hospital for close to two months now, just getting into rehab (whatever that involves). Depressing, because I've seen what someone like Gus can do, and although he's arguably in worse shape (has a slow-growing prostate cancer and leukemia plus some other maladies), I really wish I were competent enough to coach him in some way so as to prevent further loss of his independence. It's a struggle to convince him, though, as he has never been physically active. Maybe my next best shot is with my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFifty View Post
    It's depressing. My grandfather, now 86, recently had a fall outside his house after being startled by a stray dog. Fell and cracked six ribs and his pelvis. He's a lifetime desk jockey and has been in the hospital for close to two months now, just getting into rehab (whatever that involves). Depressing, because I've seen what someone like Gus can do, and although he's arguably in worse shape (has a slow-growing prostate cancer and leukemia plus some other maladies), I really wish I were competent enough to coach him in some way so as to prevent further loss of his independence. It's a struggle to convince him, though, as he has never been physically active. Maybe my next best shot is with my parents.
    Buck,

Get competent enough to coach. The first person I ever worked with was my dad. He survived the myriad of mistakes I made along the way to my SSC credential. He and my mom still lift to this day. They can (and have) bore witness to the changes that come with The Program. His knees still hurt a little, but FAR FAR less than they did before he lifted. His back pain is virtually gone (but most of the credit for that goes to Rip, who, in less than two sets of observing my dad's squat identified a leg length imbalance that went undetected for 65 years of his life. One shim and a whole lot of lifting later, and his back pain is essentially gone).

You owe it to the ones who raised you, they will appreciate it, I assure you. If I can help in any way, send me a PM.

Also, Rip, how is Gus? I hope well and I hope we get to see her in August.

starting strength coach development program
    Gus has been in a rest home of one type or another since her fall in July. She fell again in December and broke the other hip. She is not stable enough now to train with us, but they keep her bust with various forms of activity at her facility. Carmen visits her daily, I stop by as often as I can.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast