starting strength gym

Thread: L5-S1 Spondylolisthesis. grade 3 slippage

Default L5-S1 Spondylolisthesis. grade 3 slippage

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

A female friend at work is getting less than desirable results from her PT (Surprise, surprise). She had a lumbar fusion with instrumentation from L4-S1 with cage. Corrected back to a Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis approx. 1 year ago. She has constant nerve pain and can't sleep. She's 44 years old and 135lbs. The PT is telling her to avoid ALL weight and minimal activity. Essentially...set in for the long haul and deal with the pain.

Where would you suggest we start for rehab? She is comfortable with doing squats and we have the resources for most all exercises.

Thanks

Cody

I can't suggest that you do anything here, because I'm completely unfamiliar with the case. It could be very dangerous to train her, and then again squats and deadlifts might be the best thing she's ever done for her back. But without very specific information about the lesion, the repair, and her general situation, all I can tell you is to be very careful with her.

Quote Originally Posted by CMNL16 View Post
    Rip,

A female friend at work is getting less than desirable results from her PT (Surprise, surprise). She had a lumbar fusion with instrumentation from L4-S1 with cage. Corrected back to a Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis approx. 1 year ago. She has constant nerve pain and can't sleep. She's 44 years old and 135lbs. The PT is telling her to avoid ALL weight and minimal activity. Essentially...set in for the long haul and deal with the pain.

Where would you suggest we start for rehab? She is comfortable with doing squats and we have the resources for most all exercises.

Thanks

Cody
    There are yellow flags all over the field on this one. Honestly man, I would give (given the little bit of information you provided) the same guidance as her PT gave her. This is a catastrophic lawsuit waiting to happen. The only reasonable approach for a healthcare provider is to give the most conservative treatment possible, and protect the patient from further injury by keeping them away from almost anything. These types of patients are primed for bringing a lawsuit against healthcare providers, or well meaning friends who just want to help them.

Ok, thanks for the responses gents.