starting strength gym

Thread: Post Shoulder Surgery Expectations

Default Post Shoulder Surgery Expectations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi MArk:
    Hope this message finds you well.
    I tore my left shoulder, had an MRI and will be seeing a surgeon out of New York Presbyterian on Monday. Below is the summary of the MRI report. I'm 60 been training for 4 decades.

I am reaching out to you because i recall you had shoulder surgery. Not sure what you had done, but thought you might give me some insight as to what to expect post surgery:
    1. Rehab
    2. getting back to training
    3. return to normal training

I will certainly ask the dr. but in my experience they are rarely right. What ever time they say you can add several more weeks. So bottom line, asking another lifter with your experience is probably more accurate.

1. complete tear of the anterior leading edge of the supraspinous tendon, extending 8mm medially.
    2. tendinosis of both the suprapinatus and infraspinatus tendons (scar tissue & partial tearing of 50%)
    3. The subscapularis tendon is thickened distally compatible with degeneration.(scar tissue and partially tore >50%)
    4. moderate degenerative changes in the acronioclavicular joint
    5. bursitis

thanks in advance
    Lou

First, it's going to hurt a lot more than you think it will. Be prepared for that in whatever way is necessary. My thoughts on rehab are detailed in the recent video:

Starting Strength

thank you

Good luck Lou. My experience was the 1st 3 or 4 weeks were the worse. I couldn't train but walked a bunch and did a lot of air squats just to stay active as possible. Before I even got out of the sling I figured how to safely (somewhat??) row, one-handed, on a C2 rower. Got to the point where I would hold the repaired arm, not pulling whatsoever, and just letting it sort of move along with smooth in and out motion. I also had a pulley gadget hooked to the door that I used to pull the arm up and down to gradually increase range of motion. Wish I'd known or thought of Rip's method because I'm sure it would have worked better. It wasn't long after when I started working the shoulder with modified pullup motions. I would stand at my bar on a step ladder, bar at chin level, and slowly step down, going a bit further each day. When I could step all the way down comfortably I started pulling ever so lightly as I stepped UP the ladder. This progressed into doing negative pullups where I gradually increased the negative/down resistance. About the same time I started very light deadlifts. I had also figured how to squat lightly without using the shoulder by using a Smith machine, the only time I ever used one, and don't think that helped much at all. With all that said, my mish-mash of experimenting probably overcomplicated things. Rip's method is short and sweet and simple, and his rehab appears to have been quicker than mine. Your years of experience, plus being a beast at your age, will have you back in short order. Will look forward to following your recovery.

Thank you so much. If I got this right after 4 weeks you were able to start your rehab?
    How long before you were able to squat with bar on your back?

Actually no. Not doctor approved anyway. What he didn't know didn't hurt him, or me for that matter. I was in the damn sling for 6 weeks, but was rowing 1 handed and doing air squats while in the sling about 4 weeks out. As soon as out of the sling, and could do it comfortably, I started rowing with both hands, only letting the repaired side move with the motion, no tension. As soon as I could push my shoulder into the bar of the Smith machine without too much pain I started squatting WITHOUT that arm even holding the bar. Looking back I wouldn't do this as I question how much I really got out of squatting something like 75 lbs. in a damn machine. I don't recall exactly how long after I could actually get my arm up to squat with a bar but it was close to 3 months, then of course very light and wider grip. The bottom line, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Old LA View Post
    Actually no. Not doctor approved anyway. What he didn't know didn't hurt him, or me for that matter. I was in the damn sling for 6 weeks, but was rowing 1 handed and doing air squats while in the sling about 4 weeks out. As soon as out of the sling, and could do it comfortably, I started rowing with both hands, only letting the repaired side move with the motion, no tension. As soon as I could push my shoulder into the bar of the Smith machine without too much pain I started squatting WITHOUT that arm even holding the bar. Looking back I wouldn't do this as I question how much I really got out of squatting something like 75 lbs. in a damn machine. I don't recall exactly how long after I could actually get my arm up to squat with a bar but it was close to 3 months, then of course very light and wider grip. The bottom line, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Fuck....this means I can count on not being ready for the Nationals in October.

thank you for taking the time. Much appreciate it.

Rip I saw the vid on shoulder rehab. good stuff.

starting strength coach development program
    Good luck with your shoulder rehab, Lou.

Please, when you're finished with it, come back here and tell us the results. Especially if you followed Rip's advice.