starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: Correcting squat back angle

Default Video: Correcting squat back angle

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

In the wrong method the bar seems to stay over the mid foot, which according to the book is correct. In the correct method the bar is moving forward of the mid foot. Am I just looking at something I shouldn't be? Is it more about his hyper extended back? I'm a little confused.

I'm sorry you're confused. An unloaded bar will travel all over the place, because it can. As the weight goes up, it will center over the mid-foot, because it has to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm sorry you're confused.
    I choose to feel warm and fuzzy instead of berated and ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    An unloaded bar will travel all over the place, because it can. As the weight goes up, it will center over the mid-foot, because it has to.
    I was thinking if the bar went that far forward on my work set, my head would end up stapled to the floor. But yeah, that makes a lot of sense what you said there. Thanks.

All that CoM shit is in the book.

I think it's mentioned either in the book or in one of your articles that the when you squat with an empty bar or a relatively light weight the bar will have to be slightly in front of the mid-foot for the system to be in balance since most of your own bodyweight (aka the big butt) will end up behind the CoM. The heavier the bar the closer it will end up over the mid-foot, since your own bodyweight will affect this less and less.

Rip, how much is Chase's SQ right now? It seems like he's also in the video on the SS app for Press.

The bar also appears to be crooked on the shelf meaning it'll look to be more forward of the mid-foot than it actually is.

Uh, I mean uh, HA, Rippetoe! This video exposes you as the fraud you truly are! I've been saying so for years and this video proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt! Who's laughing now, Mr. Rippetoe? Ha! I am and you're not! Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxposed!

Or something along those lines.

The light bulb finally went on for me when I realized that the back angle is established at the same time as the knees are set at their forward point, which is about 1/2-way down.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm not confused and I made the same observation. If you had loaded the bar heavy enough so that it MUST stay over your assistant's midfoot, either his hips would have to shoot back further than they did or his back would have had to be more vertical. Which would it have been?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast