starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct Program for Sufferer of Inflammatory Bowel Disease

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoke84 View Post

I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and colitis, two types of inflammatory bowel disease.
    Same here. I've been suffering from IBS for many years, this was my first diagnosis, and in the end it turned out to be a rare form of IBD, something similar to Crohn's disease. I was plagued with constant diarrhea for years and extremely underweight and didn't respond to any medication. Of course something like strength training was out of the question.

I could get rid of all symptoms by changing my diet to a paleo template. Basically I avoid everything with added sugar, all types of grains (and products made of grains), all types of industrial seed oils and all soy products. I cook for myself with fresh ingredients. I also avoid all types of food with too much sugar, like too much sugary fruit and unfortunately fresh milk (because I love it). I also can't eat any whey, tried them all, isolate, concentrate, doesn't matter, gives me digestive problems.

But it's actually not hard at all to eat 4500 kcal / day with various kinds of meat and sausages, a lot of eggs (I eat a dozen a day), cheese, potatoes and other starchy tubers and some veggies, all with plenty of healthy fats like butter, lard, suet, coconut oil or olive oil.

I'm completely free of any digestive problems since I stick to this diet and I eat a lot and tons of protein. Running LP now and the gains are coming.

In the meantime I know a bunch of people who had the same or similar problems who were successful with the same diet, so you should give it a try. Here you can read more about it: 9 Steps To Perfect Health

I've had IBS for years.
    I don't feel it has made lifting difficult, if anything I think lifting has helped me handle the IBS.
    Just start lifting and do your best!

Quote Originally Posted by Dilan View Post
    Most important is getting out of the victim mindset. Trust me this will hold you back more than anything. There is a VERY important mental element to Colitis. Fight like hell, take control of whatever you can in your life and work towards goals. I would rather die trying than be cooped up indoors feeling sorry for myself. If you accept you are ill, you will be forever. This your chance to build immense character or stay down.
    Crohn's patient here too. The above is the most important thing that has been said. And your post reads like this to a T.

1) Don't be a victim.
    2) Find a good DR and meds that work.
    3) Find a diet that works and remove foods that trigger you.
    4) Realize there will be set backs when flares occur. You have to be able to mentally handle these. This will become a non-planned deload week or two.
    5) Be very very careful while training if ever put on prednisone (personal experience).
    6) Don't be a victim.

Oh, and yeah, no reason not to do the program....

Crohn's patient for 13 years here. My story is almost exactly the same as Dilan. I don't really have much to add, but am chiming in to show support and encouragement.

Remember that most of what you'll read on the internet is written by desperate people, and success stories are few because people tend to move on with their lives when they've achieved freedom from being dominated by disease. This is an unfortunate irony for people searching for inspiration and positivity. Further, many of us who have been denied insurance coverage in the past hesitate to admit publicly that they suffer from a disease -- another bummer for those looking for a hopeful message.

Anyway, Jared's list is excellent advice, and I would add emphasis on #5 -- prednisone will fuck your bones up quickly, and badly.

Although your experience is likely different than mine (I never seemed to have a protein problem, mostly dairy and carbs), feel free to PM me if you'd like!

In the meantime -- get lifting.

Thanks everyone for the advice and support. It's very encouraging to hear from so many people with similar conditions that have pushed through to achieve their goals. It's very inspiring so well done to all of you.

The key thing I've taken from all of your answers is to stop feeling sorry for myself and just go for it. And also to pay close attention to my diet and make sure my goals and level of exercise are appropriate for the amount of food and nutrients I'm able to digest.

Thanks again.

It's time to start lifting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Nessland View Post
    Crohn's patient here too. The above is the most important thing that has been said. And your post reads like this to a T.

1) Don't be a victim.
    2) Find a good DR and meds that work.
    3) Find a diet that works and remove foods that trigger you.
    4) Realize there will be set backs when flares occur. You have to be able to mentally handle these. This will become a non-planned deload week or two.
    5) Be very very careful while training if ever put on prednisone (personal experience).
    6) Don't be a victim.

Oh, and yeah, no reason not to do the program....
    I have Hidradenitis and I feel the psychological symptoms of feeling sorry for yourself creep up when my HS flares up and i'm in pain. I'm luckily not Stage II (yet), only Stage I but it's worse enough to have me skip workouts because my armpits hurt too much with the nodules and sometimes open wounds. I haven't found a way to workout while I"m flared up. The victim mindset is very hard, you have to consciously think about your mindset and get out of your head. I have gotten pissed off, emotional, depressed, all those emotions when my shit flares up. The biggest battle is not squatting, it's my mind.

I'm also experimenting with what types of food sets this off and triggers an autoimmune response. It's a constant battle. I have nothing to add for advice, everyone has said it already. Just want to say I know the struggle and I sympathize. I hope you find a good diet from the suggestions that'll work for you. I made peace with the fact that my workouts will sometimes suffer because my HS is flared up and I have nodules and wounds under my arms and inside of legs that can't tolerate movement where they rub against each other. In my mind it's better to miss a workout or two(sometimes a week) due to my disorder than not working out at all and just get weaker and weaker.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

I was diagnosed with IBS from an early age until my late 20's. IBS is just a doctors way of saying "we have no fucking idea what's wrong with you, so here's an acronym".

I stopped all wheat and dairy and my symptoms disappeared. I have no idea if it was the wheat or dairy, but i've definitely recovered. Best way is to eliminate certain food groups (wheat, dairy) and see if that improves things. theres no reason you can't get enough protein from meat, eggs and fat to hit 2,000 cals.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    I was diagnosed with IBS from an early age until my late 20's. IBS is just a doctors way of saying "we have no fucking idea what's wrong with you, so here's an acronym".
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is very, very different from Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). The similarity between the acronyms is unfortunate.
    Last edited by Austin Baraki; 04-14-2016 at 02:08 PM.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is very, very different from Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). The similarity between the acronyms is unfortunate.
    They are all inflammatory diseases. Most likely dietary related.

starting strength coach development program
    Negative brother. I'm sure Dr. Baraki can handle this on his own, but there is a world of difference between Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Inflammatory Bowel Disease actually causes histological changes to varying parts of the colon, depending on whether it is classified as Crohn's or UC. Irritable Bowel Syndrome does not do this, nor is it classified as an inflammatory condition. To say that someone's cramping and diarrhea after eating a greasy meal is somehow almost the same as someone with UC who shits primarily blood for weeks on end is a bit far-fetched. Also, the prevailing theory right now is that IBD is autoimmune, not dietary caused, though certain dietary changes can ease symptoms a bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast