starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Correct Program for Sufferer of Inflammatory Bowel Disease

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Negative brother. I'm sure Dr. Baraki can handle this on his own, but there is a world of difference between Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Inflammatory Bowel Disease actually causes histological changes to varying parts of the colon, depending on whether it is classified as Crohn's or UC. Irritable Bowel Syndrome does not do this, nor is it classified as an inflammatory condition. To say that someone's cramping and diarrhea after eating a greasy meal is somehow almost the same as someone with UC who shits primarily blood for weeks on end is a bit far-fetched. Also, the prevailing theory right now is that IBD is autoimmune, not dietary caused, though certain dietary changes can ease symptoms a bit.
    Good post, but don't make a false choice between autoimmune OR diet, since diet is starting to look like a major factor in autoimmunity. See Fasano, et al

starting strength coach development program
    Dr. Baraki pointed me to this post. Below are my thoughts and experiences of what has worked for me over the years.

I was diagnosed with UC about 10 years ago. During the worst of it, I weighed in at 145lbs at a 6’-2” height. After the initial bout and some intense meds (prednisone, Asacol, Remicaid, Humira, Lialda, 6MP, and others), I managed to get to 185lbs a year or so later. Now 37 years old, and using the outline below, I’ve managed to work my weight up to 210lbs and I take only an oral Lialda med. I’ve come a long way, but I continue to experiment with quantities, ratios, new foods, and new supplements to try to improve my health.

DIET:
    1. One of the biggest hurdles was to eliminate trouble-causing foods. I’ve tried vegetarian, paleo, SCD, etc. The low FODMAP diet has been the best for me. It reduces foods that contain sugars that ferment in the gut during digestion (lactose, beans, etc.). Most of these foods are okay for healthy people, but wreak havoc for those that have digestive issues, like IBS and IBD. Monash University in Australia (link below) has lots of good information and an app that is extremely helpful when dining out and grocery shopping. They have great instructions on how to do the elimination diet and then the re-introduction and testing of certain foods.
    2. I’ve found that I can eat lots of protein; wild game, beef, lamb, chicken, fish and eggs (4 to 6 a day).
    3. My tolerance of fats is pretty good, so I eat lots of olive oil, coconut oil, and especially butter and/or ghee. Butter and ghee contain a short chain fatty acid called butyrate that helps to reduce inflammation in the colon.
    4. It took me awhile to find a tolerable dense carb source. I finally landed on white rice and I eat it with just about every meal. I also like the Whole9 “Tons of Tapioca” from their clean mass gains recipe (link below). Potatoes and sweet potatoes, in more limited quantities, are good as well.
    5. More recently, I started incorporating fermented foods into my diet. The bacteria and yeasts “pre-digest” these foods to lessen the load on the digestive system. Sandor Katz has a couple of books all about fermented foods (link below). I make my own sauerkraut, fermented carrots, yogurt, kefir, etc.
    6. Fruits and vegetables are tricky for me. I try to eat as many as possible, but I keep the servings sizes fairly low. I also cook them when possible to help make the foods more easily digestible.
    7. Supplements – see below

In the early stages, I kept a journal on food intake, supplements, and bathroom breaks. This was extremely helpful to correlate troublesome days back to the foods I ate. I also used a food scale to quantify my tolerance levels for certain foods; could I eat 50g of a particular food, or only 25g. Once I got a reasonable baseline of foods and quantities, I found I didn’t need to journal and measure as much.

SUPPLMENTS:
    1. Fiber – Because my fruit and vegetable intake is limited, this is critical for me. Supplementing allows me to get enough fiber and reduces the added fermentable sugars. I currently use two different types; Now Foods Psyllium Husk Powder (combo of insoluble fiber and soluble fiber) and Heather’s Tummy Fiber (soluble fiber only)
    2. Potato Starch – contains resistant starch to help feed the good bacteria that produce butyrate in the colon to reduce inflammation. I use Bod’s Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch.
    3. L-Glutamine – improves intestinal barrier function (i.e. leaky gut); I’ve used both Jarrow and Now Foods brands
    4. Creatine – increased performance of the ATP energy pathway; I’ve used both Jarrow and Now Foods brands.
    5. Magnesium – helps relax and calm before sleep; I use Natural Calm brand
    6. Multivitamin – Now Foods brand Adam Men’s Multi
    7. B-Complex – Now Foods brand
    8. Vitamin C – Now Foods brand

When adding new supplements to my diet, I follow a strict protocol regardless of the manufacturers recommended serving sizes. It is tedious, but the most effective way I’ve found to introduce new supplements.
    1. Wait until my system is at a relative steady state
    2. Start with ¼ tsp per day. Monitor effects.
    3. If there are no ill effects, I double to ½ tsp the following day.
    4. Again, if there are no ill affects, I will double again to 1 tsp.
    5. Repeat this process until I reach the recommended level.
    6. If at any point during the trail, there is a reaction, I stop for two days. Then I resume at the same dosage on the third day to ensure it was the supplement and not something else in my diet. If it fails again, I know my limit is at the previous dosage.

SLEEP:
    1. I try to get a minimum of 8 hours a night and prefer 9 hours. During the weekends, I will also try to get a nap for a little added bonus.
    2. My bedroom is as dark as I can get it.
    3. I keep it cool, I have an AC unit specifically for the bedroom (I live in Texas) and keep it set to 67 degrees. I also have a oscillating fan and a ceiling fan going.

TRAINING and PROGRAMMING:
    1. During a severe flare, I don’t do anything other than walking…if that.
    2. During a minor to moderate flare, my training consists of walking and extremely light reps for the squat, press, and deadlift exercises. My goal is to keep blood flowing, but to reduce inflammation in the body as quickly as possible. I’ll do this two to three times a week for as long as the flare lasts. It is worth noting, that my diet becomes very simple during flares. No experiments or new supplement testing. I eat fairly small meals consisting of meats, rice, cooked vegetables, and minimal fruit. This causes setbacks in my short-term training, but it keeps me on track in the long run.
    3. If I am flare free, then I train as hard as my recovery will permit. Generally, I can follow the Starting Strength linear progression programming as prescribed. I’ve found that I am particularly injury prone (not sure if that is disease related, or age related), so I pay close attention to warm ups and overtraining.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 04-24-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: links removed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123